Coolant Type for Disco/Defender 200tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2015, 07:32 PM
pdsftw
Philip
None

Coolant Type for Disco/Defender 200tdi

Alright, I have searched a lot of forums and most hits seem to be from british consumers who obviously have a lot of different vendors and nomenclature. I am going to do a coolant drain and fill on a new to me D90 with a 1994 disco 200TDI power plant. I would like to make sure I get the type of coolant correct.

From what I know/heard/read: go with the simple 'green' coolant style - not DexCool, not HOAT, etc. They say the older engine blocks dont like some of the additives, silicates, etc.

So, keeping in mind my 200tdi is from a mid-90s defender, what would you suggest?

Right now I have some extra regular old Prestone concentrate in the garage I was going to mix 50/50 and fill.

Thumbs up? Terrible idea? haha. I know this is a total noob question - but I am a noob when it comes to defenders and I have just read so many seemingly conflicting comments about coolant that it makes my head spin!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2015, 11:17 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

The owners manual for the Discovery with diesel (200Tdi) engine states "universal" Page 11 here:
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/to...aintenance.pdf that's for 300 Tdi but says the same in the manual for 200.
Old October 17th, 2015, 11:51 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
the jug in your picture is gooda, just NO DEXCOOL or HOAT

you could go waterless, EVANS coolant

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2015, 01:52 PM
pdsftw
Philip
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM13 View Post
The owners manual for the Discovery with diesel (200Tdi) engine states "universal" Page 11 here:
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/to...aintenance.pdf that's for 300 Tdi but says the same in the manual for 200.
Yeah, I looked through the manual - but was just a little unsure as 'universal' isnt the most scientific term to describe an important fluid to put in an engine, haha.

------ Follow up post added October 18th, 2015 12:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
the jug in your picture is gooda, just NO DEXCOOL or HOAT

you could go waterless, EVANS coolant
Thanks for the info.

I am going to replace the radiator sometime in the near future so I might look into the waterless product at that time. I am guess the thought is that no water means less corrosion and a higher boiling point? Do you have personal experience with that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, coolant, defender, disco, tdi