Coolant System - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE
Coolant System

Hi All,

So my truck is an everyday driver in Stamford, CT. Just recently I noticed that I was losing a anitfreeze and figured that this might be normal d-90 behavior....

So, I topped of the reservoir and have been checking under the truck frequently. Last night and this morning the fluids have been coming out at an alarming rate from under the truck. (worse when I turn the heat off)

I cannot pin point the leak, but from what I can tell its not from the any of the hoses, but rather from the back of the motor, just about where it hooks up with the transmission closest to the heat exchange. To be most specific, it appears to be just above the headers and the the left ( if that makes sense)

Now granted without pictures it would be hard to know exactly what the issue is, but looking for thoughts and opinions on what it might be and the best way to have the system tested/how expensive.

Thanks in advance...hopefully a realtively easy fix otherwise have a 94 4 more money pit for me.

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
With limited info, I'd guess it is your water journal at your head gasket leaking. Need to change your head gasket. But, it could also be draining down from your valley pan which could be a simple leak from your plenum cooler lines or thermostat that runs down the back during uphill or acceleration. First, take a look under your plenum and see if top of gasket is wet. I usually park on an uphill and look at the very back from the drivers side-- you can just see the back of the gasket below the plenum. If you can't see anything then add some dye to your coolant and use a black light too see where the leak starts-- probably at front or rear corners of head gasket. Good luck.

Old February 26th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW
The fix will likely cost you 20k. I'll give you $500 for the truck.
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW
Originally Posted by MotoMando View Post
The fix will likely cost you 20k. I'll give you $500 for the truck.
Hahahahahaha, I will give you 750!
Attributed to Shayne...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
my guess is the 2 front mini hoses near the thermostat ... one of them has pierced by rubbing on the hose clamp of the other ....

The best way to check for hose leaks is to use a cooling system pressure tester which can be borrowed from your local autozone. Hook it up ... pressurize the system ... look for leaks.
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:35 PM
1995 SW #487/500
Delete the throttle body hoses and replace the remaining coolant hoses. Tighten the intake bolts and hope for the best..

Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions