Coolant Spill - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Coolant Spill

I just got back from a 300 mile trip in 95 degree temps in Colorado/Nebraska. Everything went smooth, but when I got home and shut off the truck, I had some coolant overflow out of the cap--maybe a quart worth. The truck was fully loaded, 3 dogs, 2 humans, about 300 pounds of camping gear and we were cruising about 75mph the entire way with 3 dog crates on top of the truck as well as some gear. My VDO gauges didn't show any over heat and I am just thinking that the fluid got hot once the car was shut off (I probably should have kept it running a few minutes). Has this ever happened to anyone/any reason for concern? I went ahead a ran a fluid block check just to rule out any head gasket issue (it came out just fine) and the temp when I restarted the truck seems normal (so does the IR temp).

My coolant tank is from a D1 (I wanted a larger one since I put in the 4.6).

Ever happen to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 04:48 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
yep ... used to happen to me. Was head gasket. check your plugs see if any look 'steam cleaned'.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I'll check them out--typically a head gasket would have shown up on the block fluid test, but it is a simple matter to check the plugs. I'll check the cap pressure too--it is a rather new cap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013, 09:46 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
my head gasket didn't show up in a fluid test ... it took me forever to work out what was going on. I eventually did the gaskets because i'd done everything else!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:33 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I am just thinking that the fluid got hot once the car was shut off
I don't think this is your issue as it is physically impossible. Once the car is shut off, the fluid only gets cooler.
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I don't think this is your issue as it is physically impossible. Once the car is shut off, the fluid only gets cooler.
Actually that isn't correct-- it can get hotter because the engine/exhaust can be physically hotter than the coolant being continually cooled by the radiator. Just take an IR reading at your manifold and you will see temps exceeding 500F. When you shut off and coolant flow stops, the heat throughout your system equalizes and dissipates. Ever hear a parked car's fan turn back on after being off? Not uncommon at all.
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:26 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I had this happen a few times AFTER a head gasket job. Twice in Moab, after shutting the truck off. Once in WI, after shutting the truck off. And once after driving 8hrs home from the Wilds in OH to my home in IL. All after I shut the truck off.
Never any signs of overheating or any other problems.

I replaced the reservoir cap and hasn't happened since.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant