Coolant Overflow - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:14 AM
tdn's Avatar
tdn
Status: Offline
Troy Norton
'94 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 40
Coolant Overflow

On way to work this morning I started smelling coolant. I watched the temp gage the whole drive (20 min) and it never spiked, just kept smelling it. When I parked I left the truck running and walked around to smell near hood and sure enough there was a steady stream of coolant pouring all over the ground. By the time I walked back around to shut it off, the needle had spiked way up almost into the red. Any obvious indications what the problem may be? Clogged radiator? Bad v-fan? I wouldn't think the tstat since it made it the whole drive without running hot. I should also note it was pretty cool this morning, probly around 60F.

Details...
94 D-90 V8
Replaced tstat and water pump maybe 3 yrs ago
Runs warm from time to time, usually when its hot out and I'm sitting in traffic, then cools as I get moving again.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Mpigapicha's Avatar
Mpigapicha
Status: Offline
phil
1995 Defender D90
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 326
Try to follow leak, may be just a bad hose. See if hoses at under pressure and firm when truck running & hot.... where's the leak? I had a leak few yrs ago, pooling in valley space, thought the worst & was just a bad hose.... became good opportunity to replace all of them.....



Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
On way to work this morning I started smelling coolant. I watched the temp gage the whole drive (20 min) and it never spiked, just kept smelling it. When I parked I left the truck running and walked around to smell near hood and sure enough there was a steady stream of coolant pouring all over the ground. By the time I walked back around to shut it off, the needle had spiked way up almost into the red. Any obvious indications what the problem may be? Clogged radiator? Bad v-fan? I wouldn't think the tstat since it made it the whole drive without running hot. I should also note it was pretty cool this morning, probly around 60F.

Details...
94 D-90 V8
Replaced tstat and water pump maybe 3 yrs ago
Runs warm from time to time, usually when its hot out and I'm sitting in traffic, then cools as I get moving again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Pressure test the system ... That will find the leak. Borrow a pressure tester from autozone.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
It is leaking. Top it up now, figure out what is leaking (hose, waterpump, valley gasket end seals, head gaskets etc.) and fix and you should be fine. Don't drive it without topping it up first.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,503
Registry
In order of magnitude:
Loose hose clamp
Blown hose
Blown gasket on thermostat housing, or some other handy place
leaking water pump
Leaking radiator
Blown head gasket
cracked block/head/slipped liner

On the bright side, if it was OK yesterday and pouring coolant today, then it would probably be a hose. The other ones take time to develop....except for the cracked block but that's usually the result of an overnight hard freeze.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:02 PM
tdn's Avatar
tdn
Status: Offline
Troy Norton
'94 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 40
Well I topped it off and drove it home. Exact same issues, starting running hot as soon as I was off the hwy in stop-go traffic. Opened the hood and this time found coolant leaking from somewhere behind the water pump. Wasn't coming out front of pump by belt so I think the pumps ok. Maybe a hose or tstat housing gasket or something. Cooling off right now I will dig in a little more in the morning. Hope I didn't cause any damage running it hot. The needle was just under the red zone for a few minutes. Truck was still running fine except for higher idle than usual. Thanks for the pointers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:36 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
2 awkward hoses behind the pump ... One rubs on a clip an wears a small hole. Swap them both.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:51 PM
tdn's Avatar
tdn
Status: Offline
Troy Norton
'94 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
2 awkward hoses behind the pump ... One rubs on a clip an wears a small hole. Swap them both.
Just wanted to follow up....leastonce hit the nail on the head. bad hoses, swapped them out and problem fixed. on a side note, I just got a code 14 - coolant thermistor. I'm guessing its either bad or loose connection. saw some other posts on this subject, just wondering if anyone has a part number??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:23 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ETC8496.cfm
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300 TDi blowing coolant out of overflow bottle cdb Defender Technical Discussions 16 April 12th, 2011 04:22 PM
Engine Coolant what kinda rover4x4 Defender Technical Discussions 12 May 17th, 2009 11:02 PM
COOLANT LEAK, PLEASE Read this and help if you can...Thank you!! norros Defender Technical Discussions 15 December 21st, 2008 12:18 PM
Overflow tank issues Doug Defender Technical Discussions 5 September 15th, 2004 10:23 PM
Radiator reservior overflow Neo Defender Technical Discussions 1 February 27th, 2004 11:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Copyright