Coolant leaking into cylinder mystery - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2007, 03:58 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Coolant leaking into cylinder mystery

I've got coolant leaking into one of the cylinders on the driver's side. The coolant superheats and boils off & then the engine overheats. I thought this was simply a blown head gasket, I had it replaced last year, but now I'm somewhat at a loss to explain it.

Process so far:

The head was checked tested by a machine shop and it came back OK. Asumed blown head gasket - replaced and reassembled - the leak is still there.
Sent head back to machine shop to see if they missed something - they did not pressure test (visual only for cracks). Pressure tested OK.
Reassembled, new head gasket, the leak is still there.
I've had a guy out to check the block for warpage. He said it's good.
Reassembled, new head gasket again.
Still getting coolant in cylinder.
Sent head to a different machine shop, they also said it's OK.
Cylinder looks good visually - the sleeve has no visible signs of there being a crack or hole in it.

Any thoughts?? Could there be a leak up in the intake manifold that would only result in coolant in one cylinder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Another datapoint - when I got the truck two years ago there was a little coolant stain on this same side of the engine originating near the head gasket. I had the gaskets replaced & the heads re-done and the truck was OK in this respect until recently.

Is it feasible that the head is cracked and only leaks when it's hot so it's not getting marked bad during the pressure test the machine shop is doing?

Running out of ideas short of replacing *major* components, which is an expensive way to troubleshoot. I am not sure replacing the block is my cheapest option - so all things being equal I tend to blame the head (as my least painful option???).
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Slipped liner, I would think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 01:55 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

What would be the evidence of a slipped liner? Can that be repaired in-car? Ugh...
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
What would be the evidence of a slipped liner? Can that be repaired in-car? Ugh...
If it is a slipped liner, you need a new block. Swing by my place and check out this 4.0 I"m assembling, I'll show you how a liner can slip.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Are you around tonight? I have to be in Pasadena at about 8-8:30pm. Let me know, I could stop by earlier - 310.408.2399 or email directions jaherring@usa.net.
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Sorry to suggest that and not give you any backup. I'm just going from experience, and it points to that. If you can run by Neil's, I'm sure he'll make it clear. Good luck.
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Symptoms sound like a slipped liner. I had that fun with a 4.6, but didn't think it was as common on a 3.9.

Good luck.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:47 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I was reading on ECR's website that you shouldn't be using the bottom four head bolts on "older" rover engines or it can cause the head gasket to leak - does this mean any engine with a 14-bolt head? I the newer ones are 10-bolt, correct?
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That's correct, it applies to all the 14 bolt heads. The 10 bolt heads resulted from Rover removing the offending 4 bolts. However, it is recommended that if you have a 14 bolt head to still have the bolts in place, just torque them much lighter than normal, 25lbs is all I did mine at. This way you don't collect anything in the holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant