Coolant Leak - Help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Coolant Leak - Help!

Hello all. Just had my heads redone and now have coolant leaking between the back of the cylinder block and the transmission from that little 1/2" drain hole on the bottom of the housing. I have learned now that the head gaskets may have not been the culprit after of course having them redone.

Question is now that we know there is not a leak from the gaskets, what else could be leaking colant down the back of the block and what is the best route to take. Mechanic says pull the trans as its the freeze plugs or a bad engine block. Uuuuugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, freeze plugs are a very good possibility, there are two of them on the backside of the block. Unfortunately the only way to get to them is to pull the tranny or engine, since they are behind the flywheel. There is no way to even see them otherwise.... probably the most expensive $3 part in the whole truck.

While you're getting it done, if you are still on the original clutch and if your mileage is over 50k or so, might as well put a new one in if you can afford it. Save a lot of labor cost down the road, since they have to take the old one off anyways.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Thanks Hans! More people have had to run into a similar situation. Help!!!!

Any ideas on what it costs to drop a tranny?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

a good mechanic will have it out and back in in 10hrs at the most.

Old March 15th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I had a coolant leak that looked like it was coming from the back of the engine but it turned out to be leaking at the thermostat housing. The coolant was running down the top of the engine between the intake and block (not sure if a '95 has a raised intake like a '97) then running down the back of the block. Before you drop the tranny check all the hoses and thermostat housing.

Eric
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
a good mechanic will have it out and back in in 10hrs at the most.
Sounds about right. I was quoted 9.5 hours labor to do my clutch. I decided to do it myself in the driveway with the help of a friend you all know. I think it can be done in about 4-5 hours with a friend if you know what you're doing. There's your 9-10 hours labor.

Pics of the fun below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01016.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	5222   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01029.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	5223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01030.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	5224  
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

My shirt still looks like that after 3 washes. Think the old Rovergirl long sleeve has reached its presentation end.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant