Coolant leak and type - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2012, 04:18 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Coolant leak and type

I have two coolant leaks. Not bad but enough that I need to add coolant.

First question: What type of coolant do I add? Truck has a gold/clear coolant in it now and is a 300 Tdi.

Second question: how do I replace the freeze plug since that is one of my leaks? This plug is the last one closest to the bulkhead.

Third Question: the leak at the front is new (last few days) and more significant. Looks like it is leaking from where the water pump attaches to the front of the motor. I think that is the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	61450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	61451  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The leak at the front looks like its the "P" gasket leaking. I've never replaced a freeze plug before, but I would probably add a block heater in its place. Gold coolant is usually either a mixture of different coolants, or it is the kind you can mix with any colour. Either way, I would flush it and put the green coolant back in it.
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
P gasket?

Already has a heater in another freeze plug.

Coolant isn't that old so I didn't want to go through the mess of flushing it and starting over. Just wanted to pour some more in the top.

Is there one type of coolant I can add to anything and it won't matter? My karma and this truck aren't so great so I'd hate to add the wrong thing and end up with a gelatinous mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Flush is easy ... I do it by siphoning it out of the radiator fill plug with some clear hose with 1/4 inch or so bore.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tell me more about this block heater?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 25th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
P gasket?

Already has a heater in another freeze plug.

Coolant isn't that old so I didn't want to go through the mess of flushing it and starting over. Just wanted to pour some more in the top.

Is there one type of coolant I can add to anything and it won't matter? My karma and this truck aren't so great so I'd hate to add the wrong thing and end up with a gelatinous mess.
The P gasket is the gasket between the water pump housing and the engine block. Just google "300 tdi p gasket," and you'll find all the info you need to replace it.

All auto parts stores will have a coolant that you can mix with anything, and its usually gold in colour. I would still recommend at least draining the radiator when you do p gasket, just to get as much of the old coolant out as possible. Coolant deteriorates over time.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Tell me more about this block heater?
I think block heaters in place of freeze plugs is one of the more common ways of installing them.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Has the coolant flushed. Seems to be leaking less but I have parked it on a level surface the last 24 hours vs in the driveway on an incline.

Freeze plug heater is great. We have one on the Disco too. Makes starting so much easier the one week of the year it's frigid here. Both were installed when other stuff was being done, a while we are at it kind of thing.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Stick a punch through the freeze plug and wedge it out and then tap a new one in with the proper sealant (the repair manual has the spec and I have to admit I did use right stuff and it seemed fine but YMMV as it is supposed to be a particular type of product).
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Stick a punch through the freeze plug and wedge it out and then tap a new one in with the proper sealant (the repair manual has the spec and I have to admit I did use right stuff and it seemed fine but YMMV as it is supposed to be a particular type of product).
Right Stuff seals everything!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant