Coolant Leak Advice Needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2012, 11:44 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Coolant Leak Advice Needed

Have a new issue that I found today. I have a 97 LE. I was checking the coolant level and noticed the coolant level in the coolant reservoir was way low, almost empty (I could see the drain in the bottom). I added 3 quarts of water and turned the truck over to idle for a while. When I did, the truck ran fine, but I noticed about 5 minutes in a pretty big water leak under the truck. I turned the truck off and let it set before rechecking the level in the reservoir. After rechecking, the level was still good, but it did look somewhat lower than when I had just filled it. After checking the lines from the reservoir and from the radiator, I couldn't find any leaking fluid.

Do any of you have any ideas about where this leak could be coming from? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Where under the truck is it pooling? Is it coming down the front of the engine? If so, it's probably either your water pump, or a timing cover leak (less likely). If you suspect the water pump, pull the belt of and wiggle the fan. If it wiggles (front to back), your water pump needs to be replaced.
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:08 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin

Water was on the passengers side of the truck in front of and behind the front axle. I suspect it might be the water pump simply for the fact it hasn't been replaced to my knowledge. My biggest concern is I don't know how long this has been this way so I don't know if I've driven the truck without coolant. I've had a few situations where I thought the truck was running hotter than normal, but it was also in the middle of the Texas summer and was my first summer owning it.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Did you have the a/c running? It might have been condensation coming fro the drip line. Should be right at the passenger footwell. Does you aux fan kick on in front of the radiator? Mine had a short and wasn't and made my engine temp run hot when in stop and go traffic.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
yeah ... the water likely came out from the coolant tank overflow ... there is a pipe that runs down the inner wing and ejects water if there is too much pressure in the system.

You need to do some checks ... excessive system pressure can be caused by a head gasket leak. You need a leak check done. It's also worth having a pressure test done to see if there are any leaks that only appear under pressure.

Overheating is also caused by head gasket leak ... my truck would cool ok most of the time but getting stuck in traffic or when it was really hot it would start to run hot.

Running AC puts extra load on the engine and makes the symptoms worse.

Water pump leaks are at the front of the engine, so i doubt this was the problem.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:22 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin

Thanks guys, Reese, I know I didn't have the AC running at the time, but I have noticed the overheating I perceived always occurred when the AC was on. I'm taking it in this week to have it looked at. Will see what the diagnosis is. Hopefully it's not anything too serious.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, coolant