Coolant leak? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Tom More
1995 D90
Coolant leak?

95 d-90 with 300tdi...
Over the last two days I have noticed what smells like a strong coolant smell while driving. When I am parked in my garage I can still smell it but not nearly as strong. I am not seeing any leaks inside or out, I have left a piece of cardboard under the vehicle and inside on the floor and have not seen anything. The coolant level appears to be at the right level.

Any suggestions?

Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585
Is the smell coming from inside the vehicle or outside? Are you running heat?
I don't know squat about specifics of the TDI, but have had similar issue where the pressure from heat (PV=nRT) put off into the coolant will push a small trace of coolant that boils off. Ocasionally so small of a trickle it never drips on the ground, especially if it has to run across a hot engine surface so it ends up just boiling off. I would poke around and sniff around and look for somewhere shiny, in particular around hose fittings/end and mating surfaces. If you are smelling it inside, perhaps the heater core is leaking slightly. Just my 2 pennies.

Pain is weakness leaving the body
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:31 AM
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD
Just to echo what Jeff said, (along with owning a V8) I had a smell of coolant too. No drips, puddles, etc. The telltale was when I would put it to defrost, it would fog up even more. I went for the heater core. After it was replaced, problem fixed. I believe the heater assembly is the same for both engine types. Word of advice if you do go for the core, don't buy the part from Atlantic British. I don't think it's LR Genuine (Britpart?) and required really boogering up the heater box assembly to fit it (cutting, grinding, repainting) and the inlet/outlet hose fitings were so close together that I had to soap up the coolant hoses to fit them. This time it would pay to go Genuine.

Once I got the assembly out I expected to see a leak trail or something...not a thing. Even inside the assembly on the core, not a trace.

Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions