Coolant Leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2015, 01:11 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Coolant Leak

Went out to start the 110 (3.5l) today, and noticed a small pool of coolant on the ground under the drivers side behind the bumper.

Didn't get a chance to do anything with it yet, except to wash away the coolant so as to keep the cats from licking it.

This will be the first time I'm looking into a problem under the bonnet on a Defender. Other than the standard cracked hoses and welds, is there anything I should know about and look for?

...time.... need... more.... time......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2015, 10:22 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Check all your hose clamps first. Several times I've seen coolant I've found it to be a hose clamp .
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

And don't just check above the pool-- it can travel away from the leak. Lots of possibilities including blowing out overflow hose on reservoir, weep hole on water pump, and cracked radiator. Hope it is a hose, as that is easiest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2015, 02:24 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
yeah... now I don't see anything leaking except a bit from the bleed screw. But the pool of coolant I saw was right under the LH radiator. Now I have the truck in the garage, and it isn't leaking anyplace.

NOTE: The puddle formed there after I had the vehicle parked for five days. I've never noticed any leaks before this, warm, cold or otherwise.
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Roover
Mat Morgan
94 defender 90

Pressure test the cooling system, tester can be purchased at Napa/ auto parts store. Just don't take pressure over the rating on the pressure cap. Usually 15psi. Once pressurized let sit for a few hours and look for leak.
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Clamps would be first suspect. When winter hits and temps drop i usually get a few drips here and there around clamps and hoses that were put on fresh in warmer weather. Cold makes the rubber shrink a bit thereby creating some slack under the clamp. Get it tight in winter and it should stay that way until you loosen it again down the road for something.

Its the coolant loss that you cant find puddles or leakage for that keep me up at night. When i see a dribble of coolant I thank God for that blessing.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:26 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just went through this. As others stated above, once the cold hit I started to get a couple of small puddles. The hose clamps had backed off or the hoses contracted. Found the offending hose, tightened the hell out of the clamp, and I've been puddle free for a month.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant