coolant leak - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88
My vote is for the valley gasket and bolt. Spend some time cleaning the upper engine area before you take anything apart, then be super careful while the valley is exposed and when cleaning the gasket surfaces. You don't want a worse situation to arise from debris getting into the engine.

Old March 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
You have to pull the intake to get the heads off anyway, so maybe you can pull it and see if it's obvious it's he valley gasket at that point, otherwise dig deeper. I think even if you just did the valley gasket it's a good first attempt and will boost your confidence to go back in and do the heads if needed after (and not crazy expensive).

I agree with kevkon on the cleanup.

Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Jake K.
95 D90 SW
Your last photo is showing where the valley pan gasket is sandwiched between the intake and the heads. You would have to have your Rover completely upside down for a head gasket to leak UPWARDS! They seem to blow/leak on the ends and on the bottom side under the exhaust manifolds. Tighten all the intake bolts and blow it off with some air and go get it pressurized again and see if it still leaks. When you do go in to do the valley pan here's some tips. Blow off everything before you take anything apart and when you are done....make sure you have all your tools,old gaskets, and seals accounted for. The most common problem is the little brass inserts in the valve cover gaskets sticking and falling down in and when you go to fire it up it has a hellacious chatter. When you are it up and let it get warm and bleed out ALL the air and then shut it off and dump the oil/filter. This will get all the dirt and funk that fell down in out and there is no way to not get oil/coolant contamination during the process so this will do it for ya. Good luck!
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270
Thanks everyone for the help and pointing me in the right direction. I am going to tighten the bolt tomorrow and clean the engine really good, pressure check it also. Then going to keep an eye on it this weekend and see fi it looses or leaks coolant. If it does then will order the parts and get her done next weekend.

Thanks again,

My Rover doesn’t leak oil, she is marking her territory.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions