Coolant hose leak - cure in a can question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 21st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90
Coolant hose leak - cure in a can question

Anyone have a strong opinions about those liquids you add to your coolant to seal the leaking hoses?

I have a spot that seems to leak coolant like a geyser and I can't seem to get it to stop.

I have been told (by one shop) that there is "no cure in a can!"

I am not sure if this is their way of getting me to pay them rather than poor a can of stuff in and solving my problem.

I appreciate the help

95 D-90

Old May 21st, 2005, 09:59 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
Buy a new hose, what are you thinking???

:O [==] O:
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Oh god dont use that leak stop stuff. It crystalizes in there and makes a mess. I had an old car where some PO did that to stop a leak in the heater core. It gave way after I took ownership and there was this awful crystalized mess inside my heater valve, heater core, and the rest of the cooling system. So I had the pleasure of having everything hot tanked and cleaned.

If you have leaks around a hose, replace it. Sometimes new hoses will leak until you get everything seated properly. The expensive as hell t-bolt hose clamps from McMaster will help a lot and look great doing it. They are part number 8946K series clamps on page 216 of the catalog - available in all stainless.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:36 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
A lot of coolant leaks at hose connections is really just too loose a hose clamp. However, there are two other contributing factors and those being old brittle hoses and corrosion at the hose nipple (ooohh, he said "nipple!"). I always take some sand paper to those corroded nipples (ooooh) and make them smooth again...there are some leaks that can be cured with a "can", but I would not try that for a leaky hose. A lot of coolants add silica to stop leaks and that is really what I added recently to stop an exhaust leak (successfully so far). You can add a UV die to your coolant (and another one to oil) and then use a black light to spot exactly where the leak is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions