Coolant heater Holy Grail? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
I just bought a brand new freelander FBH kit from LR Series in the UK for 169 GBP.
Link?

Part Number?

This is an amazing deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is it just me or do these seem overly complicated with the water pump, etc?

edit

Just realized the gas motor guys cant just buy a diesel powered heater like the airtronic.
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Actually, all of these models come diesel or gas versions. if you go on Ebay Germany, there are tons in gas (benzin) available. I think they have pretty much a 50/50 of diesel/gas over there, while UK is mostly diesel.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
thanks Mark.

Yeah, mine says Z on the back but the nameplate on the side says C. Dunno what to make of that. It has the pump and there are wires going to it.

heres a few photos of the sockets.

if you can post a link for the exhaust bits that would help too.
Here's the US Marine shop that has whatever you need for exhaust work. It's the 22mm stuff:
Sure marine service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Thanks again Mark

John and others, I shared the link last week with a friend, when I found them. I just got off the phone with him and he told me that he bought two and the shop said that was the last of them. I've gotten a few private emails asking for the link so here it is. Good luck, and maybe they will get more?

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...-ASSEMBLY.html

Joel these won't work on gas either. yes they are complicated but I think once it is hooked up most of the complexity is invisible. If that makes sense. Also these work as engine heaters as well as cabin heaters unlike the airtronic. These will be really great if you want to run veg you can switch over to veg by the time you hit the bottom of the driveway. Now all I need is a couple hundred bucks for additional parts and a free weekend between now and the winter romp so I can be nice and toasty out on the trails
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They are basically just good an an engine heater. For cab heat they are a bit lacking. They purposely limit the coolant temp to 65 C. This prevent the thermostat from opening, but on a Defender, it is a little cold for an effective heater. IMO, if you want cabin heat, get one of the air heaters. It is also a pain to wire one into a Defender heater do to the "strange" way the heater is wired.

They are complicated, but they just turn on and work, always, every time. They are very well designed.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Thanks. We have some more direct ways to purchase parts.....so having the part number may help.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Back in stock again...
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
john

so if I follow what you are saying and what i think I've read in the lit, is tat they won't turn on if the coolant is above 65 c. If the temperature sensing hardware self contained or is there another bit that I am missing? basically it sounds like this is a goods substitute for a block heater when there is no electrical outlet available. But I might still need that propane buddy heater after all

Do you have any photos of your setup? I checked your page and got the info for the remote relay, that is great.

I have also found all of the other parts including the harness here in the US for less than the UK site posted by Mark. I think I'm in it for about $500 US to put together a complete kit with no timer, just a manual switch and a remote start relay for when I am still in my PJ's.

So was the Eurauto Club able to source any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
They are basically just good an an engine heater. For cab heat they are a bit lacking. They purposely limit the coolant temp to 65 C. This prevent the thermostat from opening, but on a Defender, it is a little cold for an effective heater.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I want a heater because the TDI in my truck does not produce enough heat at idle or in slow moving traffic to melt a popsicle- not to warm up the engine. Plus heaven forbid if the engine breaks, transmission takes a dump, ring gear breaks, and I am out in the wilderness, the airtronic keeps me warm. From what I have read it is also capable of putting off enough heat to melt snow on top the vehicle and probably even dry out wet carpets in a Disco. Only issue might be finding a good mounting location for it?
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
john

so if I follow what you are saying and what i think I've read in the lit, is tat they won't turn on if the coolant is above 65 c. If the temperature sensing hardware self contained or is there another bit that I am missing? basically it sounds like this is a goods substitute for a block heater when there is no electrical outlet available. But I might still need that propane buddy heater after all

Do you have any photos of your setup? I checked your page and got the info for the remote relay, that is great.

I have also found all of the other parts including the harness here in the US for less than the UK site posted by Mark. I think I'm in it for about $500 US to put together a complete kit with no timer, just a manual switch and a remote start relay for when I am still in my PJ's.

So was the Eurauto Club able to source any?
OK, I find the stock heater works fine in a 90. They need to be well insulated. Drove to work this morning in bumper to bumper traffic in -15 C and the truck warmed up as fast as any other car. You do get reasonable heat at the 65... I believe the pump keeps running, which seems to help the heater output when idling.

Will check for photos....

I need to check on the club thing. Bill picked up two from LRSeries...

Follow-up Post:

Pictures.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...r/100_1416.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...r/100_1418.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...ckuponleft.jpg

I've been mulling over trying to fit a (modified) Summit racing heater in place of the stock one. Maybe this summer... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102/
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
thanks. Joel the airtronic does sound like a nice thing to have. John glad you guys were able to take advantage of that pricing. My 90 is pretty good for heat as long as the engine is up to a nice running temperature. Around town mine just does not warm up above 120 degrees or so. The heater blows warm at the point which is better than nothing. With the petrol engine and a fixed fan the temp guage was coming up within a few blocks of the house. At the same point now the needle has not even moved.

I'll post more when I've made some progress. I think it is going to get mounted in roughly the same spot except higher up where the washer bottle is now.

Are there issues with these things when taking on water when offroading in the deeper stuff? Obivously you wouldn't want it running at that point but what about later? Mine has an air intake tube with a filter on the end. I thought about plumbing that into the engine intake but I suspect it probably doesn't matter too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
OK, I find the stock heater works fine in a 90. They need to be well insulated. Drove to work this morning in bumper to bumper traffic in -15 C and the truck warmed up as fast as any other car. You do get reasonable heat at the 65... I believe the pump keeps running, which seems to help the heater output when idling.

Will check for photos....

I need to check on the club thing. Bill picked up two from LRSeries...

Follow-up Post:

Pictures.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...r/100_1416.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...r/100_1418.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...ckuponleft.jpg

I've been mulling over trying to fit a (modified) Summit racing heater in place of the stock one. Maybe this summer... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102/
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Once you start driving with the Webasto running, the engine temp pops above 70 C (160 F) very quickly and the heat output is OK at that point.

OK here is what the manual states.... I see I was a little off on the 65 C.
Quote:
When the temperature rises to reach 72 C (162F) the heater switches to the energy saving part load operation. A rise in temperature up to 76.5 C (170 F) causes the heater to enter a control idle period. This also happens when exceeding a total heating operating time of 76 minutes.
After cool-down of the coolant to 71 C the heater resumes part load operation. Another rise in temperature
to 76.5 C causes the heater to enter again the control idle period. A drop in the coolant temperature during part load operation due to an increased demand in heat will cause the heater to switch to full load operation at 56 C.

Diesel
Heating operation for the Diesel type heater is identical in the sequence of events. Should the coolant temperature drop during the control idle period to but not below 71 C within 900 seconds, a subsequent drop in the coolant temperature below 71 C causes the heater to perform a regular starting sequence into full load operation. A drop in the coolant temperature during part load operation due to an increased demand in heat will cause the heater to switch to full load operation at 65 C.
I think they are pretty robust. I put the air intake hose up high behind the heater, between the wing. I'm in deep water and mud quite a bit. I keep meaning to add a filter of sorts.

Be careful to mount it so that the pump and exchanger won't trap air. All hoses should go down to the heater, IMO.

Read the Webasto manual. There are lots of warnings about how to run the fuel lines properly to keep them air free. With the side tank, it is so easy to add a second takeoff, that is it not worth the hassle to try and come off another fuel line.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I'm getting ready for this install finally, and need some help. The harness I have does not have the connector to the fuel pump, but I have the connector seperately ready to crimp on. what I don't know is which wire goes on which side of the pump? on the original harness, the wires to the dosing pump are blue/brown. can someone show me a picture of their fuel pump with wires attached, so I can get the polarity right?
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Google.... The full manuals are online in various places with full wiring diagrams.
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have the manual. It does not clearly indicate to me the polarity of each terminal side on the pump. Can anybody else offer a picture of their pump with the wire colors indicated?
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
To all using the aftermarket harness. I heard back from Webasto tech support today, and the polarity of the pump does not matter.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Well install is 98% complete. Did first run this weekend, and it warms the engine up (with engine not running) to near operating in about 30 minutes. Did first supplemental heat test (with engine running) this morning and I had heat out of the driveway all the way to drop my daughter off at school and back.

This could end up being my favorite accessory. Only thing left to do is hookup with heater fan wires to it can preheat the cabin as well. Pics to follow when that is complete.
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Bit of an old tread but I've got one of these freelander Webasto kits and am getting the parts together to install it in one of my trucks. It is -31C here today and I can't plug in at work with the new job so it's giving me some insperation to get off my ass and install it.

Any ideas on the best place to put it in a RRC? The second battery tray on the drivers side looks good though I had been thinking of putting a second battery in that spot.
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage View Post
Bit of an old tread but I've got one of these freelander Webasto kits and am getting the parts together to install it in one of my trucks. It is -31C here today and I can't plug in at work with the new job so it's giving me some insperation to get off my ass and install it.

Any ideas on the best place to put it in a RRC? The second battery tray on the drivers side looks good though I had been thinking of putting a second battery in that spot.
Ironically I'm getting ready to do an RRC install on my buddy's TDI RRC over this holiday, and doing research and game plan on location next week. You want to install close to your heater matrix to minimize heat loss and length of hose. If you have a fridge btw, youll want dual batteries, as the webasto can be sensitive to voltage drop and shutdown. It has a surge demand on startup, and a fridge will already have a load on battery. I'll post up pics when done.

Still is my favorite accessory.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:36 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Is the RRC TDI a 200 or 300? Mine is a 200, no fridge at this time.

This is the only RRC 200tdi install that I've found on the net but it has some photos of the webasto in the second battery tray.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f10/we...-126954-2.html

Old December 5th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Thanks, but that won't work for my buddy's install, as he has dual batteries so that spot is taken.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant, heater