Coolant Flow Path 2.5 NA Diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
edh
Ed
Ex mod 90

Coolant Flow Path 2.5 NA Diesel

Ok , title says it all, what is the direction of coolant flow an a 2.5 na diesel? I don't have a repair manual and rather than disconnecting a hose from the heater and dumping a but load of coolant out, I thought I would ask here. Yes, I did a search on the world wide interweb.
Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:26 AM
edh
Ed
Ex mod 90

Anyone?
I installed an espar d5 heater inline w/ the heater. It works fine w/ the truck running but throws an overheat error when used as a stand alone. After a quick chat w/ the nice people at Espar NA it was determined to be a problem w/ coolant flow, I blame the idiot that did the install. So I am trying to figure out the cause of lack of flow. I can feel the coolant moving through the heater just not sure why it does not seem to be flowing through the block.
Thanks,
Ed
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm assuming a 2.5NA would flow pretty much the same as a 300TDI. If so, I can post that diagram. If you put your espar inline with the heater, did you make sure to have your heat controller on the dash set to hot to open the flow? (had to ask). I'm thinking it's also possible that you have a lot of air in the system from the install.

I have a webasto installed, so I'm sure together we can solve this.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/attach...oling_flow.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2011, 11:31 AM
edh
Ed
Ex mod 90

Mark,
Thanks for the reply,& the diagram of the 300tdi. It does look different than the NA though. The return from the heater looks like it goes to the top of the thermostat/ water pump.
I will try bleeding the heater again.
Is there a valve to control coolant flow on this engine? I thought that it was full flow all the time. The heater control cables seem to control flaps in the heater box itself.
Thanks,
Ed
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
To be honest, I have heard and read claims for both constant flow and blocked flow on that temp control. I have never disassembled one to confirm either way and would love to hear someone with hands on experience state one way or the other.

As for you issue, another possible cause might be that your integral coolant pump on your espar isn't moving, and so that static flow in the heater overheats at the point where the espar is measuring it.
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:00 PM
edh
Ed
Ex mod 90

Thanks again, I can feel movement in the hoses to and from the heater.
I actually just removed my heater to enlarge the bulkhead hole and there were 2 cables that seemed to only operate flaps. I also had a bad fan switch and that cable definately operated the flap ,bulkhead iirc.
I will try to run the heater w/ the ignition in the on position w/ engine off to see if there is a control valve that requires the truck's heat to be turned on.
Ed
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The inside line is the line to the heater. Outside is the return. There is no valve in a Defender heating system.

------ Follow up post added October 31st, 2011 07:23 PM ------

Here is a photo of a 2.5TD (same engine): http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...10engine1.jpeg

Line on left is return to pump suction/bypass line
Line on right is heater supply from head.
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
edh
Ed
Ex mod 90

John,
Thanks that is similar to my 90 except lhd.
I have the espar plumbed into the heater hoses from the head out to the suction in.
Is there a way to make this set up work?
Is there a more ideal location to plumb the Espar?
Ed
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
sounds perfect to me as is.
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, between the engine and heater on the line to the heater is the best place especially if you wish for it to help the heater while driving.
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM
scrubs
henery

So how did this workout? going to try this today

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant, diesel