converting to a hard top? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Another option is to buy a lift gate from a series they bolt right up with some slight mods. I got a series lift gate for 100$ shipped from Canada. It had all the mounting hardware. Sure the window is a bit small but it looks kinda cool. I also got a ribbed hard top with slider windows included fpr 1500$. so for the whole top it was only 1600$. The cage is an different story. I just got a external saftey devices. Right now have the top off from summer but I'm about to put it back on for winter. It's a great setup... best of both worlds. Although taking the top off is a 2-3 man job.

I don;t know if it is the ribbed top or not but there is little flexing during removal and I have not had any seam seperation problems. Granted I have a yellow defender with red roof sides and white top but it is unique , and only temporary untill I can paint it.

Old September 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253
Originally Posted by boshea

Where did you find the parts...and how much will it cost to convert?

Follow-up Post:

Agreed...the fiberglass top is a POS. The side pieces are always breaking on the corners because of the weight of the window glass. It should be fairly simple to construct a mold of some kind with the fiberglass pieces. I remember someone proposing the idea on the boards a while back...has anything come of it?

Follow-up Post:

Especially in Eldorado's nasty back there in the summer

I would be really interested in a sturdy-top solution - something along the lines of a Wrangler fiberglass hardtop. Can the molds be made? Sure, in fact, I know someone who could make them (or, arrange to have them made). Now, cost would be another matter....

Old September 26th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Chris Brennan
I'm in St. Louis and a representative for a fiberglass manufacturer. Not tool sheds or bathtubs, but custom fiberglass used for special projects and vehicles (i.e. the Wienermobile, Anheuser-Busch beer school, fiberglass Shamus for Sea World- the whole works).

If anyone in St. Louis could provide a fiberglass hardtop for a few days (or send some dimensions and really good pictures of theirs) I'd be more than willing to have them figure out a cost for fabricating it. I've seen a D90 fiberglass hardtop before in person and know they could fabricate one sturdier.

And as with any other project that requires a mold, producing five or 10 of these is going to be significantly cheaper than producing one (cost of the mold spread over the number of tops produced).

If anyone wants to check out the manufacturer, the website is Look under "Graphics" and then "3D" for some previous projects.

Anyone able to help? Drop me an email at or call me at 314.477.1919.
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:29 PM
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST
bump on the thread...I am sure there is someone out there willing to help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

hard top