Converting tire carrier from SW to tailgate - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:27 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Converting tire carrier from SW to tailgate

I just converted my 1984 ROW d-90 from stationwagon to soft top, replete with new tailgate. With some swearing and busted knuckles, it all worked out well. One thing I am looking to do and I need advice... I have a bearmach rear tire carrier (almost identical to Mantec). It opens with the swinging full rear door. I have fastened the mechanism to the rear tailgate (I need to keep my tire here... no room in truck, to big for hood). There is a pivot mechanism where the tire carrier meets the door (or in my current situation, the tailgate). As I am sure many of you have guessed, I can't open my tailgate without removing the monster bolt from the pivot mechanism. My idea is to replace the pivot bolt with some type of easy release pin or bolt with a wing nut, then I could swing the tire aside (open) and drop down my tailgate.... However, it is a 3/4 in bolt, so I don't know if a quick release pin or a wing nut will be easily available. Any ideas?... Maybe a marine supply? I appreciate the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Have you considered making the tailgate hinged on the side? You can utilize the bottom hinge from your SW door and you would need to source one more for the top (and mount where the right hand side anti-luce pin is. You can leave the left side anti-luse as the latch.

I did this on my 109" tub based trailer (nas tire carrier) and can dig up a link to some pictures if you'd like once back on a computer
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:39 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If the above doesn't work for you , you might try a tractor supply for a pin that they use with tractor machinery. I know Mine have some large removable pins and I believe that they make a few different sizes.
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:49 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Charles, that is a great idea. I just wish I consulted you and the other members before I drilled all the holes and mounted up the tailgate as a drop down version. I genuinely appreciate the thought though. I think I might go with the tractor supply pin... or maybe a trailer receiver pin will work as the nearest tractor supply in my neck of the woods is about 50 miles. There are, however, several marine and trailer supplies locally.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
If the pin idea doesn't work out, switching to a side hinge only leaves a few bolt holes which you can just put bolts in and you'd hardly notice them.
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Here are the pictures of my conversion. It leaves 3 bolt holes which I think if they have bolt heads in them, no-one would know they were not supposed to be there.

http://gallery.lhsw.com/rover_trailer_tire_carrier

I made a new plate to replace the right hand side one with the anti-luce pin, otherwise it's all standard stuff.

charles
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Charles-
That doesn't look bad at all. I will definitely keep the option in mind. Thanks again.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Side swing is so much better.
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:28 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks for all of the advice. Although the concencus seems to be that side swing rear tailgate is the way to go, I didn't wan't to mess my freshly painted and drilled tailgate (had it painted with the drop tailgate straps / mounts and other hardware on it. That being said, I got a quick release pin for a trailer receiver and am using the pin as a release point so I can swing away the tire carrier at the attachment point to the tailgate and then drop down the tailgate. While the swing away might be better, I am really pleased with the way it works. Works like it was designed to work as a drop tailgate tire carrier instead of a SW tire carrier. Thanks again for the info and the idea of the trailer quick releas pin.
Old June 5th, 2011, 10:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Pictures man, pictures!
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I'll get pics up in the next couple of days.
Thanks again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tailgate, tire, tire carrier