Converting from Bestop to Badger - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

Converting from Bestop to Badger

What is involved in changing the fittings and such from a Bestop to a new Badger top? The D90 I'm having inspected tomorrw has the fiberglass hard-top and the original, unused bestop. I understand these tops have leak problems, etc so I think I will need to upgrade to the badger. I have average mechanical skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Nothing mechanical is involved, the worst thing is cutting the ends off of the header rail to accomodate the gutter kit. The installation of the gutter kit is simplicity itself. Do ensure you get the header rail since it is not used in hard top mounting but costs 3-400 to replace.

An orginal bestop wont necessarily have leaking problems, but seeming how people love to pay top dollar for them on ebay, I would sell it and buy the badger. It will save you from doing it 3-4 years from now when your bestop is worn out and worthelss.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Just make sure you have all the hardware from the best top, and if the truck is a 94, then you will also need a rail kit for the sides to clip into. Other than that, it is plain and simple swap that should not require any different hardware if you get one with the fabric door seals. Email Chris at Badger and he'll send you a nice catalog that will make you lust for one of his tops in a bad way until you finally bite the bullet and order one. Then you will be tormented with a wait time of 6 weeks, but I hear it is worth every minute when it finally shows up. I am waiting on one now.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
hamiamham
mike
97 D-90

the truck is actually a 1997 / thanks for the advice guys
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

If you want to use either the original Besttop or a Badger make sure you have all the parts. You will need the header bar for the top of the windshield, the horizontal bars that run from the windshield to the roll bar, and the alpine bow.

If you look in the tech section of this board there is a PDF of the '97 soft top installation procedure that shows all the bits you'll need (and their part numbers).

-M
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

correct me if I am wrong, but if the truck is a 97 there should not be any modifications changing to a badger top...at least there weren't in my case.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
badger, bestop