converting an old soft top to a surrey top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
converting an old soft top to a surrey top

I have a couple of old soft tops kicking around and I am thinking about cutting one down to make it a surrey. I would like to cut it to the dimensions of the OEM Surrey to keep the look as much as possible. However, I may make a few changes like keeping the extra material and seal along the top by the door top - so when it rains water doesn't stream in the gap between the top and the door tops like it does in my ]bikini top (I am sure many of you know what I am talking about - puddles in your lap....). I know the surrey and bikini tops are primarily meant to keep the sun out, but it would be nice to stay a little dryer when it rains... I know some of the same snaps and straps can be used from the top for the surrey.and I can add some additional straps ss need be. For the sewing I am going to use sailors whipping twine (very strong waxed nylon used to repair sails). Eventhough the color of the twine is white, you can hit it with a black permanent marker that bleeds down into the threads. This works really well at blending the stiching into the top. I have done this for years repairing tops and the twine holds up really well and hasn't failed me yet. I would imagine this is a pretty simple project that others may be interested in. And it is a good way to put an old soft top, that you may not be using and have kicking around, to some use! Does anyone have good pics and the dimensions for the OEM Surrey top that could help wiht this project? Rufus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
The OEM surrey had what appeared to be alpine window-esque cutouts in toward the rear cabin of the car. Are you sure you don't want to cut to the newer style with minor tweaks where you see fit?
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Rufus, I am not sure what top you plan to start with but I did this with a bestop and it came out great (i think anyway). I kept it simple and retained the front door seal and rear window lines and just cut off the pieces I didn't want and added some straps/snaps. I don't have time to look for a better picture, but this one gives a decent idea

http://gallery.lhsw.com/view_photo.p...05&id=DSC_0224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Post up pics as you go. I want to do the same.
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:11 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Rufus, I am not sure what top you plan to start with but I did this with a bestop and it came out great (i think anyway). I kept it simple and retained the front door seal and rear window lines and just cut off the pieces I didn't want and added some straps/snaps. I don't have time to look for a better picture, but this one gives a decent idea

That's a nice Disco...
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:13 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, runs great on the highway...
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:20 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yeah, runs great on the highway...
touché
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Quote:Originally Posted by cgalpin

***************( i cant figure out how to put the quotes in blue boxes yet) *********************

BTW Charles thanks for the pic. what do you have for rock sliders i like them? anyways back to the topic.... your surrey top looks great. I was planning on adding the straps to the outside following the basic design and look of the the OEM Surrey Top (the one with out the cut out alpine windows - not sure shy they came out with that design?)

Thanks for all the thoughts and sugguestions on this post. If anyone has pics of the OEM Surrey Top and details of its straps, it would be appreciated.

Rufus
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:49 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
***************( i cant figure out how to put the quotes in blue boxes yet) *********************
If you press the quote button and examine the tags you'll see it's "QUOTE" inside "[" and "]" tags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
BTW Charles thanks for the pic. what do you have for rock sliders i like them?
Bill Burke sliders. NLA as far as I know and mine is one of very few lovingly hand made by the man himself. Given a recent craigslist posting, mine are for sale for $10,000 :D
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
On my phone, but there was a rover event and Brian (specops-something) had his truck there; some pics of his surrey were taken.
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
BTW Charles thanks for the pic. what do you have for rock sliders i like them? anyways back to the topic.... your surrey top looks great. I was planning on adding the straps to the outside following the basic design and look of the the OEM Surrey Top (the one with out the cut out alpine windows - not sure shy they came out with that design?)

Thanks for all the thoughts and sugguestions on this post. If anyone has pics of the OEM Surrey Top and details of its straps, it would be appreciated.

Here are some pics of a Bestop Surrey if it helps you. I apologize in advance as these are camera phone pics...I had the same thoughts of you and got the original top from the PO (he had replaced with a Badger) but in the end I just borrowed this one from Charles and kept it long enough that I could claim it as mine! As a side note, I'll sell my sliders for $9999!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00134-20100729-1050.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	29737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00135-20100729-1050.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	29738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00136-20100729-1051.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	29739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00137-20100729-1051.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	29740  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top, surrey top