Defender Source Forum banner

converting an old soft top to a surrey top

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jefhuf 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a couple of old soft tops kicking around and I am thinking about cutting one down to make it a surrey. I would like to cut it to the dimensions of the OEM Surrey to keep the look as much as possible. However, I may make a few changes like keeping the extra material and seal along the top by the door top - so when it rains water doesn't stream in the gap between the top and the door tops like it does in my ]bikini top (I am sure many of you know what I am talking about - puddles in your lap....). I know the surrey and bikini tops are primarily meant to keep the sun out, but it would be nice to stay a little dryer when it rains... I know some of the same snaps and straps can be used from the top for the surrey.and I can add some additional straps ss need be. For the sewing I am going to use sailors whipping twine (very strong waxed nylon used to repair sails). Eventhough the color of the twine is white, you can hit it with a black permanent marker that bleeds down into the threads. This works really well at blending the stiching into the top. I have done this for years repairing tops and the twine holds up really well and hasn't failed me yet. I would imagine this is a pretty simple project that others may be interested in. And it is a good way to put an old soft top, that you may not be using and have kicking around, to some use! Does anyone have good pics and the dimensions for the OEM Surrey top that could help wiht this project? Rufus

#3 ·
#5 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Quote:Originally Posted by cgalpin
Rufus, I am not sure what top you plan to start with but I did this with a bestop and it came out great (i think anyway). I kept it simple and retained the front door seal and rear window lines and just cut off the pieces I didn't want and added some straps/snaps. I don't have time to look for a better picture, but this one gives a decent idea

http://gallery.lhsw.com/view_photo.p...05&id=DSC_0224

***************( i cant figure out how to put the quotes in blue boxes yet) *********************

BTW Charles thanks for the pic. what do you have for rock sliders i like them? anyways back to the topic.... your surrey top looks great. I was planning on adding the straps to the outside following the basic design and look of the the OEM Surrey Top (the one with out the cut out alpine windows - not sure shy they came out with that design?)

Thanks for all the thoughts and sugguestions on this post. If anyone has pics of the OEM Surrey Top and details of its straps, it would be appreciated.

Rufus

#9 ·
***************( i cant figure out how to put the quotes in blue boxes yet) *********************
If you press the quote button and examine the tags you'll see it's "QUOTE" inside "[" and "]" tags.
BTW Charles thanks for the pic. what do you have for rock sliders i like them?
Bill Burke sliders. NLA as far as I know and mine is one of very few lovingly hand made by the man himself. Given a recent craigslist posting, mine are for sale for $10,000 :D

#11 ·
BTW Charles thanks for the pic. what do you have for rock sliders i like them? anyways back to the topic.... your surrey top looks great. I was planning on adding the straps to the outside following the basic design and look of the the OEM Surrey Top (the one with out the cut out alpine windows - not sure shy they came out with that design?)

Thanks for all the thoughts and sugguestions on this post. If anyone has pics of the OEM Surrey Top and details of its straps, it would be appreciated.

Here are some pics of a Bestop Surrey if it helps you. I apologize in advance as these are camera phone pics...I had the same thoughts of you and got the original top from the PO (he had replaced with a Badger) but in the end I just borrowed this one from Charles and kept it long enough that I could claim it as mine! As a side note, I'll sell my sliders for $9999! :grin

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.