Converting a soft top to factory hard top? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I disagree with Ron - resale is resale, people that want a wagon want a wagon and vice versa. Since there are no black wagons, at least yours would have that selling point.

Definitely look at both before you commit to a POE set-up. The only difference is the lack of roll-bar and lack of trim in the back (aside from lift-gate versus full door), so time is not a factor in the conversion per me.

Personally, I think the POE cage set-up is beyond awful, and I can't see going to the time and expense only to half-ass the top. Doing a half ass job always hurts resale, and you don't see anyone seeking out POE 94's just because they're rare. They're simply less desirable because they are the worst compromise between ST and SW. Apologies to George Kase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Respectfully disagree of course

The only downside of the POE is if you roll, you are less protected (but more protected than any non-NAS defenders). True, POEs are the least desirable, but if you could buy an ST with a POE top that you could swap out or a SW which would you have? I submit the former.

Also, keep in mind that there are a lot more differences between an ST and an SW than just the cage. Roll up doors, lots of interior trim, bench seat or jump seats, carpet or rubber mats, use of a full rear door etc. -- doing a full SW conversion is an undertaking and you will likely end up half-assing it and not doing everything so why not just get the hardtop you want and leave it so that it can be an ST again if you sell it.

Ron
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ron's opinion is wrong

How far you go on the conversion is totally up to you, and Ron is right, there are a number of little differences. However, I think the cage needs to be done right (as in be a complete cage, not just bolted to the roof). Whether you have carpet, jump seats, roll-up doors is all a matter of choice. Defender's always seem to appeal no matter what the spec and don't seem to have trouble finding new owners. I would just set it up for your taste, and as long as its not all crap, you won't have trouble at resale time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Love the spirited debate....Good ideas from both of you. Having owned a 97 LE, the goal would be to replicate that with the interior, trim and finishes. Because I don't think it likely I would convert it back or want to take advantage of the benefits of the ST. We get a lot of liquid sunshine here in the NW, so a water tight SW is very desirable. I am leaning to Jim's perspective on this one, although Ron's point of time and expense is not falling on deft ears. Thanks to both of you for helping me out on this.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would do the full conversion as Jim says. The rubber tub is actually nice even in the SW as you can easily clean it out. If it weren't desirable, why would so many people buy loadspace mats for their cars? If you choose to switch to the jump seats at some point, you will have some holes in the rubber, but, although not the most convenient to climb into, the bench in a SW could be kind of nice. You could safely put a child seat back there (if that applies), and rear passengers wouldn't be swinging all over the place in their seats like with the jump seats. I would go to the full doors though, as they will be much more water and air tight.

PS, I always thought a NAS spec Black SW would look great!
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Daringer
Darin Gardner
1997 D90 SW

Agreed. more rubber is better. I can think of two or three times where I even had passengers in the rear of my LE. I agree about the jumps seats. More function, less conjunction. I have been wanting to create a Black SW for some time now. Hopefully a decent 97 will show up. If not I will go White.
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Does this help?
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1034977466.html
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Naw, nobody wants one o' dem fiberglass tops!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, factory, hard top, soft top