converting 94 to crank driven oil pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

converting 94 to crank driven oil pump

I am converting my 90 (yeah, it has been a while on the back burner not running) to a crank driven oil pump by swapping the front cover to the "intermediate" front cover that is set up for a serpentine belt but still takes a distributor. I am also converting all the accessories to serp belt. Kind of a pain in the ass, but it is going fine. Question, though--the water pump doesn't have a heater return port on it so I am imagining I have to use a Disco lower radiator hose that connects to the heater return and the resevoir. Is this what others have used? Seems like it may be a different shape but I can't tell without buying one. Has anyone done this conversion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2011, 09:17 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yes on the Disco hose. Blast from the past!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks Pendy--yeah, it has been down for a while. Couldn't wrench for since you sent the cover and stuff out--First dislocated and separated my left shoulder, then broke my right clavicle and had to have a titanium plate and 9 screws put in. Given the OK to resume Aug 2nd, so finally getting around to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I did not know.

Sorry to hear this. May I recomend Asian massage therapy. Think they give a titanium discount.
Kidding aside. Hope the recovery goes good for you. Check in with me if you come up short on parts.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The conversion went pretty well-- a tad involved due to all the bits involved, but I'm sporting about 30psi at idle so am very happy :-). Had to fabricate a alternator mount, still converting the new air con pump for air compressor, and swap out the steering pump which is groaning and should be back in biz!
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Just a note on the oil pressure sender and VDO gauge--I had the sender installed on my v-belt set up on the oil pump pressure switch but I noticed that the serprentine belt oil pressure sender hole is too close to the block to physically fit then sender unit. That is why you see several people with hose contraptions up out of that area and mount the sensor remote. I was fortunate to have my front cover off and some time to think about it, but all I did was take an old stock sender, chop off the top and drill it out and tap it for a 90 degree elbow and just connected the sender to that. The only way possible to ge the elbow on, however is to have the front cover off, so if you ever do take your cover off, then put one of these on! I will post some pictures in the near future under the appropriate vdo gauge thread...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions