Conniston Green NAS 94 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2014, 04:07 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Conniston Green NAS 94

I ordered some custom mix rattle can paint from APS using paint code LRC.570 for a fender I replaced on my '94. I obtained a used white fender. Wasn't looking to do a concours restoration. Prepped surface and repainted. Mounted on rig to check fit. Paint doesn''t match at all!

A couple caveats:

(1) The original paint on my rig was Portofino Red. PO repainted to what I assumed was Conniston Green. Didn't seem like the best respray job because there was slight orange peel. Might have been clear coated too.
(2) I still need to do some final sanding and buffing on the fender.
(3) First pic under bright shop lights, second lights off with natural light coming in.

Comparing the Conniston Green on the door to the fender repaint, the door seems darker, more of an olive tone. The rattle can Connistion Green looks more like the green found on 97 hardtops (BRG?). Was it mixed wrong by the vendor? Was the original repaint NOT Conniston Green? Will the real color come out after finishing with sandpaper and rubbing compund?

I know, it's not the best paint job but it looks like the base color doesn't match at all. I ordered using code LRC.570
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (3).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	96838   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	96839  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
The rest of your 90 looks more like Epsom Green.
Old June 15th, 2014, 07:08 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

My current D90 was a repaint so it is possibly an Epsom green. But I used to have a 95 Conniston Green, and I recall a friend of mine remarking on the strong yellowish olive green admixture of the factory paint job. So, I assume that's Conniston Green. The Conniston Green that is coming out of my rattle can looks as green as golf course grass. No olive or yellow undertones. A google image search of Epsom Green shows the darker green tint that is closer to my doors. BUT I understand Epsom Green wasn't a standard NAS D90 color? Argh, I'm going crazy . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2014, 07:40 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Bottom line, is it possible the vendor mis-matched the color? Is Conniston Green supposed to be a darker shade of green with a strong yellow undertone? Or is it more of a bright green color, as coming out of the spray can?
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:16 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Hi. From the pic, your Fender looks like Coniston Green, but your door does not. I think there was another green color for NAS Defenders--British Racing Green possibly. I am not a Paint expert, but the respray color used by Previous owner's paint shop could have been mixed wrong, wrong code used etc....

The paint under the respray could be affecting how the respray looks.
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:29 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Ah, BRG the color of classic Jags! I believe the 97 hardtops got the BRG color option. Another poster suggested Epsom Green. I guess the lesson is to source touch-up paint locally, using color match, instead of relying on a color code and an online vendor.
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:38 PM
COphinest
Joshua Lipsey
2013 Defender 110

Neither color looks like British Racing Green. I agree from the pics that the doors look like Epsom green and the fender like coniston green. BRG has a lot a blue in it.

From my limited knowledge, BRG was only available in the soft top 97.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
nas

« Ohms | PS Pump Help »