Confused... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

GO drop the car of at the dealer because it was randomly dying. I was playing around under the hood and after advice given to me on this board cleaning the contacts on the MAF wire got it running again. It wasn't running perfect so I decided to bring it in to have the wire update done (apperantly there is one). I drop it off and a day later I get phone call back saying the car needs 3100 dollars worth of work. THey said the car won't run without an new air flow sensor. I"m thinking "i drove it down there and it was fine". THey can't get the part from land rover so they decide to change to fuel relays and do the wire update and magically teh car runs without a new $800 air flow sensor. THey told me i also needed a new rotor and cap which i happened to purchase and install 10 mins before driving it to the dealer. I"m guessing not but is there any merit in what they are saying? SHould I really drop for a new air flow sensor?

Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...
Old September 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
You asked the goldern questions. I can not comment on a dealer, but if you are unsure of its honesty, go for a second opinion. You can also call various government offices, including the local business bureu for complaints / reports on the dealership to see if they have had issues in the past. The fact you replaced two things - rotor and cap - and they flagged those either you installed them incorrectly (was the dealer recommending replacement pieces or just work) or that is suspect.

Most dealers are honest - just the hourly rate is so high and 15 m = $30 after a 1hr min. I cringe.

Old September 29th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
I rarely trust dealerships and mechanics, all from personal experience. I think the worst case was when I had a bad starter, and the mechanic told me that the crankshaft was moving back and forth! Funny, the engine only had 2500 miles on it and the reason he gave still doesn't make sense to anybody.

Now, that being said, a bad MAF sensor will give you a trouble code. But those things rarely FAIL, most often it's just corroded or broken wires and connectors. And there was a manufacturing issue with them that does cause rough running at times, but doesn't warrant replacement (which usually gets you a part with the SAME problem in it).

But before I recommend a new sensor, what are the symptoms you are having? And what year truck?

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Bryan Tate
I just replaced my MAF, bought a used one for $100....
Just a thought.....the LR dealer put it on for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions