Cone type air filter on turbo inlet - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2016, 10:15 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Located mine behind the passenger side headlight. Seems like a decent spot for cooler air. In full disclosure, I don't have many miles on this app yet but so far so good.
I think your air cleaner might be too small and restrict your air flow.
The stock 200/300TDI air cleaner is pretty good size, but yours appears to be much smaller.
I initially used a large cone K&N filter on my Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel but it made a strange sound at higher rpms.
When I calculated the outside dimensions of the K&N air filter for the stock Mercedes air cleaner I found that my cone filter only had about 75% of the surface area of the stock one. This seemed to be a reasonable approach to getting the right surface area for a K&N filter because they are very coy about the CFM figures for each filter even though they go on a length about all their testing and measurements.
Here is a K&N air filter for a 1995 200/300TDI: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=E-2590. I calculated the outside surface to be about 182 square inches (11.313" x 3.141592 x 5.125")
Then I went to this page to find a suitable cone or cylindrical filter: http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx.
It took me a while using this calculator and the measurements for the area I had available to install it, but I found a quite large cylindrical filter that is about the same surface area as stock. However, the Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel only needs about 150 square inches so yours would have to be even bigger, but I'm quite sure that your existing one is much smaller than my original cone filter..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I've also heard from those that race off road KN makes perfect fine filters for off road use. Probably depends which filter.
Sponsorship money will get a fellow to say most anything. There was a study done by a fellow in OZ that I posted a link to years ago showing which filters did the best flow, ie an impartial scientific test. The stock paper filter beat the k&n, but the best was the donaldson filter used on the wolf 300 tdi's, it smoked all other filters.

The write up can be found on the AUlro forum.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I ended up with a foam twin air style cone filter with inverted top., we shall see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2016, 10:40 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Sponsorship money will get a fellow to say most anything. There was a study done by a fellow in OZ that I posted a link to years ago showing which filters did the best flow, ie an impartial scientific test. The stock paper filter beat the k&n, but the best was the donaldson filter used on the wolf 300 tdi's, it smoked all other filters. The write up can be found on the AUlro forum.
Yes, I remember reading that write up. It was very well done too. I need to revisit the Donaldson site and think through this again one day.

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2016 10:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
I think your air cleaner might be too small and restrict your air flow. The stock 200/300TDI air cleaner is pretty good size, but yours appears to be much smaller. I initially used a large cone K&N filter on my Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel but it made a strange sound at higher rpms. When I calculated the outside dimensions of the K&N air filter for the stock Mercedes air cleaner I found that my cone filter only had about 75% of the surface area of the stock one. This seemed to be a reasonable approach to getting the right surface area for a K&N filter because they are very coy about the CFM figures for each filter even though they go on a length about all their testing and measurements. Here is a K&N air filter for a 1995 200/300TDI: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?prod=E-2590. I calculated the outside surface to be about 182 square inches (11.313" x 3.141592 x 5.125") Then I went to this page to find a suitable cone or cylindrical filter: http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx. It took me a while using this calculator and the measurements for the area I had available to install it, but I found a quite large cylindrical filter that is about the same surface area as stock. However, the Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel only needs about 150 square inches so yours would have to be even bigger, but I'm quite sure that your existing one is much smaller than my original cone filter..
Dude, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to reading up on this.

Old March 31st, 2017, 08:52 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Located mine behind the passenger side headlight. Seems like a decent spot for cooler air. In full disclosure, I don't have many miles on this app yet but so far so good.
I think I am going to try doing a setup like this quick on the dyno to see if it nets any gains over the factory setup. Ill just pull the intake to see if it gets any power. If it does ill fab something clean and simple up like this. I don't need the extreme weather protection the factory intake provides.
Old March 31st, 2017, 09:15 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I wonder if this would work in a 200tdi stock air box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
I think your air cleaner might be too small and restrict your air flow.
The stock 200/300TDI air cleaner is pretty good size, but yours appears to be much smaller.
I initially used a large cone K&N filter on my Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel but it made a strange sound at higher rpms.
When I calculated the outside dimensions of the K&N air filter for the stock Mercedes air cleaner I found that my cone filter only had about 75% of the surface area of the stock one. This seemed to be a reasonable approach to getting the right surface area for a K&N filter because they are very coy about the CFM figures for each filter even though they go on a length about all their testing and measurements.
Here is a K&N air filter for a 1995 200/300TDI: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=E-2590. I calculated the outside surface to be about 182 square inches (11.313" x 3.141592 x 5.125")
Then I went to this page to find a suitable cone or cylindrical filter: http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx.
It took me a while using this calculator and the measurements for the area I had available to install it, but I found a quite large cylindrical filter that is about the same surface area as stock. However, the Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel only needs about 150 square inches so yours would have to be even bigger, but I'm quite sure that your existing one is much smaller than my original cone filter..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	224377  
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:31 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
I think I am going to try doing a setup like this quick on the dyno to see if it nets any gains over the factory setup. Ill just pull the intake to see if it gets any power. If it does ill fab something clean and simple up like this. I don't need the extreme weather protection the factory intake provides.
That would be great to see what measurable difference there is. This filter is a little bit noisier on long trips at max highway speeds but around town and short commutes to work it has been fine so far.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:05 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
I wonder if this would work in a 200tdi stock air box?
This one will work for sure, just not cheap.

LAND ROVER DEFENDER 200 TDI K&N AIR FILTER. PART NO: NTC6660K | eBay

Also this "Pipercross" brand. Allisport sells this one

http://www.pipercross.net/pipercross..._p24037574.htm

https://www.lrdirect.com/BA5812-Air-Filter-Pipercross/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions