Condenser fan will not kick on Help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Condenser fan will not kick on Help!

Ok I looked on my Rave disk but dose'nt seem to help a whole lot. The Fan does not seem to want to kick on. I pull the plug on the fan and used hot wires to test it. It works fine so the trouble is not the fan it"s self. All by the way this is a 97. took the little cover off on the side of the AC blower checked the relays seemed fine. While checking voltage on the condenser relay when I touched one terminal with my tester the light glowed real dim and the fan would run. Seems Odd, Almost like when I touched it with the tester it got ground or something and would run. IDK. Somewhere I read that as soon as you turn either the blower on or the AC the Fan should kick on is this correct. We have a Disco and thats what it does on it. Plug at fan has no juice, Changed the relays around made no difference. Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

Dana, I'm running into the same issue on my '97. The fan should kick on with A/C. When I'm stuck in traffic, it overheats and I have to kill the A/C. It was not fun the other day in '90 weather with the family on board.

I'm garaging it until it's figured out.

Let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same.
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Make sure you are really running hot. I had an issue with my 97 that when I turned on too much power...a/c, lights ect my temp gauge would run hot. Turned out to be a bad ground with the gauge. Re-grounded it and it was fixed.
Just a thought.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

The ground for the compressor circut is located on the right wing top. Just up from the power steering res. I fixed mine by cleaning the terminal.
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
IDK. Somewhere I read that as soon as you turn either the blower on or the AC the Fan should kick on is this correct.
That is not what I thought. I've operated under the perhaps incorrect assumption that the AC fan didn't come on until the engine reached a certain temp. I can't recall my AC fan ever coming on. (I might have the same issue that you do.)

Maybe one of the pros can chime in.
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

In the 110 the fan goes on as soon as you turn the AC on. With that said I have had the fans not go on for the following reasons:
blown fuse
bad plug
seized fan.
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:28 AM
nmc
Noel Corpus
1997 Defender 90 LE

The AC condensor fans come on at specific temperature (I forget the number) and not in the same instance when the AC is turned on. I was under the same impression for a while, but found out differently after some research. You may have also noticed that they will kick on after you've shutdown for a while to aid in cooling.
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:20 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Maybe this will help you track the problem down?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 Condensor Fan Operation.pdf (82.0 KB, 330 views)
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

New Fan, No Luck

Finally got around to trying to fix this. Took at look at the fan, it was clearly seized.

Ordered a new one from RN, popped it in and maintained some patience trying to get it to kick in.

A hot day at a drive through did the trick -- temp got past the mid point (normally where I cut off the A/C to cool down the engine) and I could hear it TRY to kick in. There was a clicking sound under the passenger side dash and the dash gauges would dim briefly. The fan did not start and the engine continued to get hotter.

It's a new fan that spins fine and I checked the fuses -- all A/C related fuses under the dash and in the fuse box in the engine compartment tested fine.

The ground? Where would I go to check that out and how would I go about testing it?

I appreciate any help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan