"Compromise" tires...hate this... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2004, 05:09 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

"Compromise" tires...hate this...

I've got used to getting extreme tires (Simex, IROKs, Boggers - to come) without thinking about highway ride, noise, mileage or anything else for some time now...

Seeing that my new D-90 will be 80% on road and 20% off road (mainly sand duning in the Arabian desert), I was aiming at getting me some BFG AT/ko 285/75-16...the dealer, however, does not carry this size, and I'll have to wait 12-18 months for him to bring some in...

Now, the Interco dealer here has a set of 5 x SSR (32x11.5x16) that he is willing to sell for an "affordable" price...I'm not too fond of these tires to start with as they are radials & have heard mixed things about them...add to that the quality control of Interco tires, eventhough I love them...and you get a confused dude

Shall I go for these SSRs? (FWIW, I tried all other tire makes here to no avail)

Thanks.
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Nadim,
I had a buddy here who had SSR's for a while and he liked them a lot. I don't know what kind of tread life he got or what not but i know he liked them while he had them

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old December 26th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think for 80% on road and for the type of off roading that you will be doing you would be much happier with the ATs, but I could not see waiting 12 to 18 months! Thats crazy! How many miles a year do you do? I would only imagine getting about 30k to maybe 35k out of a set of SSRs. And I would think they would be a bit agressive for sand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2004, 09:56 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

I'll be doing no more than 20,000 KM per year...I agree on the ATs, but I am not willing to wait it out...

Aggressive tires are not that bad for sand...I deflate a lot and the truck is ultra lite and torquey, so maybe the extra grip and floatation will be an advantage???
'04 Disco II stock
Old December 26th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

So then the question is are you happy with replacing your tires in a year and 1/2, maybe less? I like how the SSRs deflate and round out better then the ATs when deflated, the side walls go even with the tread while the ATs have such a square edge that they don't round out very well. If you are lite then the SSRs may be the way to go, you just have to deal with the low milage. It may be even lower with the higher temps that you guys have, but I am not to sure on that. And your sure there are no other tires? Have you looked at the Interco LTBs? They seem to be a good tire and they are allot less $$$ then the SSRs.
Old December 26th, 2004, 07:24 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Well go ahead and tell him to get the AT's in the time span you said (12-18 months) and get the SSR's and most likely the SSR's will need replacing by the time your AT's get here....

Just a thought.....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old December 27th, 2004, 03:50 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Well, I've searched since yesterday afternoon and this morning to no avail...the only tire I saw was the new Pirelli Scorpion STR that is too puny for me, and a set of slightly used BFG Baja 315/75-16...not appealing at a price of 200$ each...

What I did come across were 5 x 33x12.5x16 SSRs that were put on a show truck and then taken off, for 108$ a piece...so that is a decision done...

Anyways, with the mileage issue you guys are hinting to, I'll order the ATs as well...

Nadim
'04 Disco II stock

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires