Completely lost all control of steering today - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Completely lost all control of steering today

I was driving home this evening and completely lost control of steering. I mean, you turn and turn but the car goes straight. Not a very pleasant feeling. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at here but it appears that the drop arm ball joint came out of the track rod? The pictures shows it after I put it back together. They were hanging apart when I found them. There is some type of bolt missing that is supposed to hold these together right? Can someone tell me what I need? If I pull them apart it'll come out. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	34493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	34494  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2011, 12:14 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Happened on my truck... Luckily in a parking lot. Water gets in there and rusts the ball joint it seems. That won't hold (obviously) the way you have it. You'll need to replace the joint.

Edit: No there's no bolt missing or anything.
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:52 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
From what you are saying... The drop arm ball joint got separated from the drop arm.

From the pics... The drop arm ball joint looks to be secured in place to the drag link. You don't have any nut or pin missing.

Can you post a picture with it separated?

I'll go with a new Drop Arm... I bet the one you have got damage. (Part No. QFW000030)

The ball joint is supposed to be pulled out the other way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	34499  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I'm confused as to what came apart. Your castelated nut and cotter pin are still in place, and I think the hole in the top of the drop arm is too small for the ball joint to come out. Did the pin with the ball on it shear off somewhere?

You probably don't need a new drop arm (which is kind of $$ anyway) because the ball joint rides in a removeable brass shell. A rebuild kit comes with a new pin, two halves of the race/shell, spring, cap, washer, c-clip, boot, nut, cotter pin etc - and all that stuff goes in from the underside of the drop arm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Definately looks to be sheared. It can be a real PIA sometimes to get the old ball joint out. Make sure that it has not damaged the drop arm and that the new ball joint can operate freely.
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
the one i rebuilt had no brass in it. it was all steel. i think the brass would wear too quickly. that said, the one pictured here should be rebuildable. the moving parts likely just wore to the point that the ball was able to come out the wrong way. Happens with tie rod ends too, and usually results in a quick trip to the curb. Due to Nigel's disease, suggest everyone check theirs now...

PS seem to recall seeing drop arms available somewhere for about $100. Which is worth it given the PITA factor of rebuilding the ball joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yeah, I'm confused as to what came apart. Your castelated nut and cotter pin are still in place, and I think the hole in the top of the drop arm is too small for the ball joint to come out. Did the pin with the ball on it shear off somewhere?

You probably don't need a new drop arm (which is kind of $$ anyway) because the ball joint rides in a removeable brass shell. A rebuild kit comes with a new pin, two halves of the race/shell, spring, cap, washer, c-clip, boot, nut, cotter pin etc - and all that stuff goes in from the underside of the drop arm.
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Yeah, I would go through the entire front end. Also, it's strange that if you put a lot of input into the steering and there was no effect as you said, that the joint didn't completely dislocate. You really want to make sure there is no other problem in the front end that caused the ball joint to fail. Include the steering box in that check.
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:15 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
If you need one, I have a drop arm (used). Drop me an email....
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFE...ufacturer.html

if it didn't shear off and the drop arm is worn to the point that the ball @ the end of the shaft pulled through you need a new drop arm. You must have had tons of play in your steering.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks guys. I have noticed a little play in the steering and also a bit of a "knot" when doing a full turn. Everyone told me not to worry about it.

I've gone wheeling a couple of times lately so I'm sure the steering got a bit abused then.

It did completely drop out. I will take a picture of it separated so you can see more clearly what came apart. Thanks again fellas.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:05 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Probably don't need a new drop arm (the rebuild kit has both cups and the ball shaft thing which combined should be enough) but I would get one anyway as the cups are really hard to get out.

This is caused by rust which is caused by water displacing the grease under the boot. Very common in states without rigorous inspections. Check your three other ball joints too (two on the track rod and the one on the other end of the drag link). Any clicking when you move the bar up and down, torn boots, or signs of rust and they should be replaced.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFE...ufacturer.html

if it didn't shear off and the drop arm is worn to the point that the ball @ the end of the shaft pulled through you need a new drop arm. You must have had tons of play in your steering.
That is what I picture when he mentioned that it got separated. Shear off drop arm and that is why the ball joint got separated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Thanks guys. I have noticed a little play in the steering and also a bit of a "knot" when doing a full turn. Everyone told me not to worry about it.

I've gone wheeling a couple of times lately so I'm sure the steering got a bit abused then.

It did completely drop out. I will take a picture of it separated so you can see more clearly what came apart. Thanks again fellas.
For $30 difference I will get the drop arm. The best price I've seen is at the UK for $50. If you need it ASAP and cannot wait, get it a Rovah Farm form $89. The ball joint kit is about $60 at AB.

Also, here is the install pdf file and very nice webpage from our friends in Landy Zone.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f41/dr...wal-63811.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STC3295_INS.pdf (617.7 KB, 101 views)
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If getting the cups out of the drop arm is a PITA, then getting the drop arm off the spindle is not exactly a walk in the park either. This job sux any way you slice it.

Old January 4th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for all you input everyone. I plan to drop it off at Doug Shipman's shop since I am gearing up for a busy week. I will post more pictures shortly. I will most likely replace both drop arms and the track rod joints as well. I don't want to have to go through this ever again. Luckily I was driving 40 on a city street. Had it happened on the freeway or in the woods it could have resulted in a roll over. Check your joints fellas!
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
If getting the cups out of the drop arm is a PITA, then getting the drop arm off the spindle is not exactly a walk in the park either. This job sux any way you slice it.
PITA is an understatement. I was ready to use a blow torch when I did mine... luckily I don't have one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Thanks for all you input everyone. I plan to drop it off at Doug Shipman's shop since I am gearing up for a busy week. I will post more pictures shortly. I will most likely replace both drop arms and the track rod joints as well. I don't want to have to go through this ever again. Luckily I was driving 40 on a city street. Had it happened on the freeway or in the woods it could have resulted in a roll over. Check your joints fellas!
Always a good idea to do the track rod and drag link TRE together. cheap insurance.

Also, I've sent you a PM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Funniest part of all was when I was "parked" with half of the vehicle in the street and the other half across the sidewalk, hazards on, a police car drove by. Thought for sure I was going to get checked for drunk driving. He didn't stop, just drove on by.

For any new Rover owner I highly recommend AAA. Free tow home last night and free tow to the shop this morning. They even drove me and my defender home one night when I was plastered and didn't want to leave the rover in a seedy neighborhood overnight.
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Honestly, doing tie rod and steering rod joints sucks so bad that I think just having an extra on hand already built up is the way to go. That way replacing them involves just two nuts and an alignment (which sounds really good right now!) and then you can rebuilt the other spare at your leisure.

Old January 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Honestly, doing tie rod and steering rod joints sucks so bad that I think just having an extra on hand already built up is the way to go. That way replacing them involves just two nuts and an alignment (which sounds really good right now!) and then you can rebuilt the other spare at your leisure.
x2...x3 and x4.... lol

I have a nice shipment coming with my replacement parts...

On the other hand... My wifes '03 DII had a bad drag link and I was able to do both (track rod and drag link) in less than 20 minutes. We'll her truck is garaged at home and at work. Maybe a couple of times on dirt roads... it's rust free. maybe that's why.
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

They are easy IF you have heat, a 3ft (or at least 2ft) pipe wrench with an extension for more leverage, some PB blaster, and something to wedge open the split in the ends of the rods a bit. Also helps to have a big vice or you can do what I do and wedge the other end someplace it can't move.

When I replace the ball joints, I pack the threads with anti-sieze. This may or may not be safe, but I do it anyway. I also use two clamps per end.
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
They are easy IF you have heat, a 3ft (or at least 2ft) pipe wrench with an extension for more leverage, some PB blaster, and something to wedge open the split in the ends of the rods a bit. Also helps to have a big vice or you can do what I do and wedge the other end someplace it can't move.

When I replace the ball joints, I pack the threads with anti-sieze. This may or may not be safe, but I do it anyway. I also use two clamps per end.
I tried heat, penetrating oil, voodoo... you name it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions