Complete Exhaust Replacement $$? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:40 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Complete Exhaust Replacement $$?

What is the best price on a complete stock exhaust replacement for a 3.9 94 D90? Is there really any performance (mpg) improvement grained from paying up for the more expensive upgrades?

Thanks,

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Do you need a full system or just cat back?
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Don't waste your money on exhaust if you're chasing performance. If you want a nice, non-rusty exhaust that's tucked up out of the way, then go the custom route. I had a custom Y-pipe setup made locally. They used some "high performance" cats, whatever that means. They tuck up nicely out of the way and my exhaust is no longer a rusty pile of shit. Cost: about $900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Do you need a full system or just cat back?
Full System.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Don't waste your money on exhaust if you're chasing performance. If you want a nice, non-rusty exhaust that's tucked up out of the way, then go the custom route. I had a custom Y-pipe setup made locally. They used some "high performance" cats, whatever that means. They tuck up nicely out of the way and my exhaust is no longer a rusty pile of shit. Cost: about $900.
Wow, was most of that the cats, or was it stainless? I've had full exhausts done for a lot less than that. Had a system built for an old BMW coupe for about $300 that is similar work and content to a Landy system less the cats -- two downpipes with flanges, y'd into a single 2.5" to the back with a Magnaflow and a nickel tip.

You can buy universal fit cats from Summit for $60-$90 each.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:32 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Wow, was most of that the cats, or was it stainless? I've had full exhausts done for a lot less than that. Had a system built for an old BMW coupe for about $300 that is similar work and content to a Landy system less the cats -- two downpipes with flanges, y'd into a single 2.5" to the back with a Magnaflow and a nickel tip.

You can buy universal fit cats from Summit for $60-$90 each.
Was the Magnaflow included in the $300? Who did the work?

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I just had new performance cats, a stainless Magnaflow muffler, and tail pipe section from the muffler back put on a few months ago. Cost $900. I was surprised at the performance gains. I did not expect anything other than a better sound.

What I found was that now on my daily commute there are hills that I would have normally had to downshift to 4th gear I can now stay in 5th gear. I find myself running around in 5th gear more and turning 2,000 rpms instead of running in 4th at 2,500 rpms.

Because I get reimbursed for mileage I am constantly resetting my odometer so I do not know if I am getting any better gas mileage.

I am thinking that my old cats must have been partially plugged and that is why the new system allows for better performance.
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
I just had new performance cats, a stainless Magnaflow muffler, and tail pipe section from the muffler back put on a few months ago. Cost $900. I was surprised at the performance gains. I did not expect anything other than a better sound.

What I found was that now on my daily commute there are hills that I would have normally had to downshift to 4th gear I can now stay in 5th gear. I find myself running around in 5th gear more and turning 2,000 rpms instead of running in 4th at 2,500 rpms.

Because I get reimbursed for mileage I am constantly resetting my odometer so I do not know if I am getting any better gas mileage.

I am thinking that my old cats must have been partially plugged and that is why the new system allows for better performance.
What was the Magnaflow muffler & cats model number?

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Also could do the whole NRP set up from RN.
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:39 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh12 View Post
Was the Magnaflow included in the $300? Who did the work?
Yes, muffler included. It was at a muffler shop near the airport in Portland, OR, about 5 years ago.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Dan,
Just talked to my muffler guy and the part numbers are

Magnaflow muffler #12256

The cats are from a company called Imco and the numbers are

Left side #650305
Right Side #650005

Apparently the Imco cats are only available through custom shops so you will have to get them through a shop that uses them.

My muffler guy does not use Magnaflow cats as they were having troubles with them and he likes the Imco cats better or so he says.
Old April 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
Dan,
Just talked to my muffler guy and the part numbers are

Magnaflow muffler #12256

The cats are from a company called Imco and the numbers are

Left side #650305
Right Side #650005

Apparently the Imco cats are only available through custom shops so you will have to get them through a shop that uses them.

My muffler guy does not use Magnaflow cats as they were having troubles with them and he likes the Imco cats better or so he says.
So its 2 1/4 off of each manifold 'Y'ed into a single 2 1/2 to the muffler?

Old April 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Yes a y pipe into a single muffler

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, exhaust