Compatible starter motor question? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

Compatible starter motor question?

When I called the mail order parts places, I found that the Bosch starter motor has increased in price drastically in the past 2 weeks. I ended up getting a good deal on the older style Lucas/Marelli starter, but I have noticed that this starter has an an extra spade clip that the Bosch one does not have. I have not removed the Bosch unit yet to inspect it, but from under the truch it looks like I only have 2 wires going to it and the Lucas starter has 3 places to connect a wire. . . . Is this starter going to work on my 1994 D-90?

Also, the top bolt seems very hard to move and am going to get an 8MM hex socket so I can get more leverage than I can with my allen wrench. Any tips on how to get the top bolt to move? The lower one broke free easily. . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Andrew,
The Marelli starter will work fine. The bolts are 5/16 allen, not 8mm. 5/16 fits a bit tighter. Clean out the inhex very well before you put the tool in.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

I had a hell of a time with the top bolt too. Make sure to remove the heat shield from the starter and surrounding spark plug/ exhaust areas to give you more leverage on the top bolt. Spray the hell out of it with PB blaster and let it set over night if you have the time.

JS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

Once I got a proper socket so I could get some more leverage, the top bolt came free easily. I had been dousing it with PB blaster for a couple days though. . .

Unfortunately for me, the starter motor was not the immediate reason why my truck is not starting, because it won't start now that I have replaced the motor. . . sigh. . .

Now I just don't know where to look to fix this darn truck!

I think I might just have to bump start it and take it to my mechanic and have him figure it out. . .

Any other ideas as to what could keep it from starting? I do hear relays clicking when I turn the key, but no action from the starter motor. . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

is the battery ok,are the terminals tight

Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
is the battery ok,are the terminals tight

Brand new Optima red top battery. Terminals are on tight. . . .

Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

check the ignition fuse under the hood ( 94) I think its a 60 amp. Drivers side on the firewall.

Did the new starter come with the solenoid, or did you use the old one ?

If you tighten the lug bolts for the starter wires too much, you could have cracked the insulation and caused an elec short.

JS
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

60A ignition fuse is good. . . .

New starter came with solenoid.

sigh. . . I thought for sure that replacing the starter motor would fix this since the motor has been iffy for a while. . .

Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

I have got bad starters "out of the box" before. Take it out and hook it up to a battery and see if it engages and spins the gear.

Then go raise hell with the folks who sold it to ya
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

If I hear a click from the starter relay, does that mean it is working correctly?

Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

I'm not 100% but I would say that the starter is bad. It should do more than make the relay click.

Check the old starter with the battery too, it may be another issue.

JS
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Are you hearing a relay in the dash or the actual starter solenoid itself?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

I am only hearing the click from the relay inside the dash fuse box. Nothing at the solenoid. . .

Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

well, the dash relay could be burnt out...check to see if it has power in and power out to the starter solenoid when it is engaged.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
MiniGuy
Andrew Mobley

I'll go pick up a relay tomorrow and see if replacing it makes the difference. I don't have any electrical diagnostic tools (nor do I know how to use them if I did. . . ). I guess I can assume the starter relay has power in since it does click when I turn the key. . . .

I did talk with my friendly local mechanic and may just take it to him. . . .

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. I was quite pleased with myself for being able to install a new starter today even if it was simple and even though it did not solve my problem. . . . I know the old one was on the way out anyway so replacing it is still a good thing. . .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
motor, start, starter