Company Recommendation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Company Recommendation

Anyone had any dealings with The British Northwest land-Rover Company?

http://www.land-roverco.com/

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:59 PM
Nalu
Colin Miller
94 D90 ST/4.6

This is an excerpt of the 'review' I posted on Yahoo, with some additions for D90 owners. I know this is an old thread, but posting in case someone searches for something on BNWLR.

Charles Kellogg, the owner, is a knowledgeable guy, particularly when it comes to Series vehicles. But he doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground when it comes to D90s (and I suspect most modern Rovers), suspensions, upgrades (e.g. ARB lockers, Premier Powerwelders) and other things we like to do to our trucks. I also find him to be less than completely honest. To wit:
BNWLR routinely overbills by using one of a few methods. One is by doing work that was not authorised. Another is through taking 1.5-2 times as long as other places to complete the work. Another is billing for 'false starts' - errors in diagnosis or work that do not solve the problem and yet they bill for them. Another is double billing.
How do I know this? I was a BNWLR customer for over 5 years and paid dearly for it. I try to support local businesses when I spend my money, whether it's groceries,restaurants, beer, music or auto repairs. I have tried to remain 'with' BNWLR, but no longer can afford to see my money going down the drain (well over 25K in 5 years). The last straw was an engine/clutch/suspension job that took 10 months and over 18K (with a 14K estimate) and my D90 still does not run correctly! The engine replacement has been an unmitigated disaster (wrong ECU, ECU mount broken and not repaired, hood bent, etc.) To make matters worse, my truck was broken into whilst in BNWLR's possession and the cubby box, head unit and CD changer stolen - which Charles says his insurance will not cover. Moreover, BNWLR failed to file a police report, failed to inform me in a timely fashion (I found out about a week later when I called to see if my new engine had arrived yet - after the truck had been with them 5 months and two months after I paid a 6K deposit) and now I'm out another 800 to replace those items - on top of the 18+K repair bill.
If you utilise BNWLR's services: you will be overcharged; potentially have unauthorised work done; your vehicle will be stored outside when not being worked on and be subject to theft (which happens frequently according to Charles Kellogg); and the work will take much longer than would at another garage. This has been my experience with BNWLR since 2006.
My BBB complaint is forthcoming, as are posts on all the LR forums I visit. I wish I had checked into those resources before I gave them my custom. I wish I had listened to my 'spider sense' when I saw the revolving door of mechanics and clerks through that place - a sure sign of a business with problems. I wish I had walked away when asked to pay in advance so BNWLR could "make payroll". Do yourself a favor and research BNWLR before putting your vehicle in their shop.
I'm going to the dealer from here out, as much as it pains me.

Colin

"Some day this war's gonna end" :-|
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
No point posting it on Yahoo - no one will see it ... that's like saying 'add me on myspace' ... only josh says that these days.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:52 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Here's another site thread to post your dis-satisfaction to.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...kellogg-47204/
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:10 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

The OP was from 3 years ago and the link to the website yields nothing. Are they still in business?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I had only read the first paragraph and the first sentence of your next part, and went on to something else. I had thought you were giving a good review, until just reading the next few posts.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lots of other bad reviews as late as 2011. With all the BBB issues and lawsuits, I'd be surprised if that guy is still in business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
The OP was from 3 years ago and the link to the website yields nothing. Are they still in business?
Yes, unfortunately, he's still around screwin' people.

www.britishnwrover.com

http://www.olywa.net/land-roverco/noframes.htm

Read on LRO site for later suits. There's obvious interest in this guy as the post has over 5,500 views.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...kellogg-47204/
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Think he also has the defender roll cage listed on eBay for $9/$10k

I've never bothered to call him on parts parts b/c they're way overpriced
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

He is infamous in the Northwest.
Doesn't matter if it is a Series or any other LR, you will regret dealing with him.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions