Comments / Interest in Machined AL Vents - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Buck,

Quick question on the anodizing. Never been able to keep black looking tight after a year or so on my mountain bike parts. Anyway to get them raw so I can get them powdercoated? A year in the midwest and the black anodizing will look really bad.

EwS
Hey,

No problem at all to get them with no anodize on them. If people want that they are more than welcome to let me know. I can also do Hard Anodizing on request for a few bucks more.

The parts are in production right now! They will be ready in a week or so. I will post pictures of the black ones as soon as I get them. Thanks everybody for your comments and your buys! I will contact everyone as soon as they are ready and post up here too.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
They look great ,what are you working on next ?
I do have something in final test right now actually. Details soon!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2007, 04:03 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Snow version

I just found this one on eBay and thought it was a good idea for those of us with the snow issue. Any interest in cooking some of these up?
Attached Images

Old June 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Those look great! I might be in for a set of black after I have seen a pic. Will the black fade over time? Any positive/negative vs. powdercoating black?

Thanks
KA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I am interested in two sets...

Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TND90
Those look great! I might be in for a set of black after I have seen a pic. Will the black fade over time? Any positive/negative vs. powdercoating black?

Thanks
KA

I work a lot with anodized aluminum for tooling. Black anodize is always the most inconsistent, and tends to turn purple over time. I'd really recommend powdercoating black vs anodize. If you do anodize, clear seems to be more consistent and stays the same over time.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Trampton
Todd Rampton
1995 Defender ST

If you have a black pair left sign me up.
TR
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Can the anodized stuff be painted easily at the point when the color turns? If yes, I'm interested in a black set.

charles
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:04 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Charles - If you're asking whether it can be powdercoated after anodize, the answer is maybe. Anodize sometimes includes a sealing process (depends upon how Buck specifies it), and I've heard that this does not allow the powdercoat to adhere well. There is also a natural sealing that occurs over time so even a non-sealed anodize may be difficult to powdercoat if it's been weathered for a while. I'd imagine this would apply to regular painting as well, but I don't know for sure. I'd say if you're really concerned about it changing color, you're better off to order it raw and either paint or powdercoat it yourself. That is unless Buck comes up with a powdercoat option. And hopefully he won't use the same powdercoaters that SafariGard does
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I was thinking more in terms of getting the anodized black and then just repainting with a rattle can later of needed - whether that would work well. If thats not a good idea, then I'd like to see pricing for powder coating up front.

thanks
charles
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hi Guys,

If this is a concirn to many, I can always have them powdercoated. I have a fantastic shop (not used by SG). If this is the way people want to go, I have no problem doing it. That being said, I am not a huge fan of powdercoat. I went with anodize for a reason. If everyone doesn't mind paying $5 more a vent or $110 total I can have them all Hard Anodized which is a much stronger and deeper process. I think the standard process is fine, but if you want the insurance, thats not a bad way to go.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Looks great. I will take a set.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Buck - Curious why you prefer anodize for these parts. Apart from the color concerns, standard anodize is less than 0.001" thick and can scratch easily. Hard anodize is better (maybe 0.002-0.010" thick depending upon what you specify), but I've seen even stranger shades of black in hard anodize. If I was concerned about excessive coating thickness, I wouldn't powdercoat, but this part seems ideal for powdercoating. JMO. They look very nice BTW.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sakurada
Buck - Curious why you prefer anodize for these parts. Apart from the color concerns, standard anodize is less than 0.001" thick and can scratch easily. Hard anodize is better (maybe 0.002-0.010" thick depending upon what you specify), but I've seen even stranger shades of black in hard anodize. If I was concerned about excessive coating thickness, I wouldn't powdercoat, but this part seems ideal for powdercoating. JMO. They look very nice BTW.
Hey,

Good questions. I prefer it because I have not had great experience with powder coating in general. It seems to always chip or flake eventually. AL seems especially prone to this problem, but, I am no expert in this. I figured that anodize would be a great idea for clear for obvious reasons. For the Black, I figured that I would be able to refuse the parts if they were not up to my standards.

But, Like I said, I have no problem having them powdercoated if thats what people prefer. I have a connection to a great facility in Corona, CA for P.C. It's all about you guys, whatever is better.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Yeah, these post processes can be a PITA. There's nothing inherently bad with either one (anodize or powdercoat), but they require proper prep and process control. I think the nature of the industry is that the people doing the work are underpaid, and just don't care or aren't adequately trained. I've had expensive machined parts "lost" in the anodize tank. I've also had them banged around during racking. Keep in mind also that if you aren't satisfied with the anodize finish, they have to chemically strip it. This also removes some of the parent material. And if they strip it too long, forget about getting a decent finish (ask me how I know). Anyway, maybe because I deal so much with anodizing, I experience a lot more problems. But I have yet to have a problem with powdercoating although I do much less of it. It's good though that you're offering people the choices.
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:09 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Count me in on a pair. Hey, where is the steering wheel adapter from a few years ago? lol
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

I am interested in a black set.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM
jakethesnake
Jake
95 D-90 ST

count me in for a black set please. Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:21 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Count me in for a set Black would be great.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old June 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Those are really cool.
Why not make a batch and sell them through AB or something, as well as on the chat boards. There are a bunch of people that would want those if they had access to them, people not on the D90 boards. I know if they were available in a stockish looking black we could sell a lot of them.
Just my .02

You can count me in for 4 or 5 sets in Black.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:06 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Black please.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac