Comments /input on milled Aluminum grill before production! - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
OK, did a quick search. This is the 'Extended' Grill. If you are shopping for parts like a bumper or something overseas then this is what is described as an 'AC Equipped' truck. NAS trucks have a standard grill even if they have AC fitted so this is only an issue with some ROW or UK trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Land_Rover_Defender_Sussex_Police.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	33894  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Affirmative, that would be my truck minus the police stickers/bar and white in color .

Buck - what are your thoughts on milling down each side of the "finished product" maybe 1/8-1/4" before powdercoating? At least for folks like myself?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02552.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	33895  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 11th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Affirmative, that would be my truck minus the police stickers/bar and white in color .

Buck - what are your thoughts on milling down each side of the "finished product" maybe 1/8-1/4" before powdercoating? At least for folks like myself?
I have no problem doing that. It's easy. I can even do different patterns once the size and arc are finished.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
OK, did a quick search. This is the 'Extended' Grill. If you are shopping for parts like a bumper or something overseas then this is what is described as an 'AC Equipped' truck. NAS trucks have a standard grill even if they have AC fitted so this is only an issue with some ROW or UK trucks.
The exception being NAS 110s which have the same extended grille as pictured above.
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:39 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Land Rovers are cut to suit beat to fit and paint to hide... So aim for the medium fit and make the caveat some fudging might be necessary
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Hey Buck,

Any update on this? I received the vent covers (thanks, btw) and I simply couldn't be any happier with them. I'm now enthusiastic about a matching front grill.
I believe there are many of us still "hot" for a purchase, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most will not even notice the tolerance difference that you're likely mulling over...!

Ross
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Hey Buck,

Any update on this? I received the vent covers (thanks, btw) and I simply couldn't be any happier with them. I'm now enthusiastic about a matching front grill.
I believe there are many of us still "hot" for a purchase, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most will not even notice the tolerance difference that you're likely mulling over...!

Ross
Hi,

I will get back to this. But there is no way I can even look at it untill after the race in febuary. I have no money and no time right now. I will get back to it though. Sorry for the delays.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Hey Buck,

Clearly I've missed a post or two somewhere... No problem and no hurry; just didn't want to see this project "burn out"...

Good luck with the race, and a suggestion- if you're short on R&D funds, I'm sure there are at least a dozen or so of us willing to pre-order; I know I am.
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:18 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Hi,

I will get back to this. But there is no way I can even look at it untill after the race in febuary. I have no money and no time right now. I will get back to it though. Sorry for the delays.
Excuses Excuses......

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor View Post
Excuses Excuses......
My balls, your wheels.

------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2011 03:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Hey Buck,

Clearly I've missed a post or two somewhere... No problem and no hurry; just didn't want to see this project "burn out"...

Good luck with the race, and a suggestion- if you're short on R&D funds, I'm sure there are at least a dozen or so of us willing to pre-order; I know I am.
I can't take anyones money, but thank you for the offer. There is still a chance that the arch of the grill will make the material too thick, and the looks fall apart = no grill. I can't let that happen to people.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:38 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Buck:

What's the current status/plans with the grill? Still thinking of moving forward?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Buck:

What's the current status/plans with the grill? Still thinking of moving forward?
Yes, we are moving forward. It is at the shop now getting recut. No timeline though. But, not that far off.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
GREAT TO HEAR! Keep us posted with any pics once you have a production version. Also did you ever decide on the final "dimension" since many folks were up against the A/C bumpout issue? I know I was looking at 30 3/8" max, but you were thinking larger (or perhaps a different "version" for those with A/C).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 11th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hey Buck. Did you ever end up running a batch of these?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
aluminum