Comments /input on milled Aluminum grill before production! - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Buck,

I kinda like the idea of a plastic grill like your mock one instead of aluminum. Will that be available?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Buck,

I kinda like the idea of a plastic grill like your mock one instead of aluminum. Will that be available?
Yes! I thought about that too. Problem is it won't be way cheaper than the al. It will be cheaper though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
I kinda like the idea of a plastic grill
x2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:05 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
...-1
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Where's the carbon fiber? Or for that matter, the diamond plate version?

Dave, just make the damn things. People will buy them.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Offering a plastic option is not a bad idea!

What would you do it out of? Nylon?
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The plastic after some research is not looking like a good alternative. The price for good plastic like UHMW is high. And the surface prep to make them look good negates savings over PC. It doesn't even mill faster. I have no problem making it, but the difference in cost would be very little. Maybe $25.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Update with some photos!

It needs a LOT of tweaks. But as far as a first shot goes kinda guestimating the fit, I am very happy with it. The width is great as far as outside. The extra .150 a side filled up the gap between the grill and headlight surrounds well. The holes themselves need to go wider across the profile. They also need to be a lot bigger. Well, not that much bigger as the space between them needs to be smaller. I think 3/4 will end up looking good.

The radius on the back needs to be fixed. That was misjudged by quite a bit. I want a tight fit and I think I can get it. We also have to do a little extra machining in the back to clear AC. But it's coming along. I won't go to production with something less than perfect.

Thanks for the Test fit Eddie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5591.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	33834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5593.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	33835  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5598.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	33836  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Random question (not that it applies to you guys), but will the overall dimensions of the grill remain exactly the same as stock? Reason I ask is that I fitted my Rovers North radiator muff to my Defender today and it made me think.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 8th, 2010, 05:36 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind
Random question (not that it applies to you guys), but will the overall dimensions of the grill remain exactly the same as stock? Reason I ask is that I fitted my Rovers North radiator muff to my Defender today and it made me think.
i asked that question also a few posts ago.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I like the suggestion to mill the holes in the shape of ovals. That would be genuinely LR and possibly reduce air flow drag. Regardless, I'm interested in one too.

Dennis
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I like the suggestion to mill the holes in the shape of ovals. That would be genuinely LR and possibly reduce air flow drag. Regardless, I'm interested in one too.

Dennis
Are you looking to break the land-speed record in a Defender? I know that the drag coefficient on the grill must be waaaaay high and it probably significantly slowing down the hog .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 9th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
i asked that question also a few posts ago.
More or less. I want to make it .100 a side wider to fill the gap better between the headlight surrounds. Same height.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:34 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

can I get one in 6061 so I can have it anodized to match my Kings Brah!

brraaaapp.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
More or less. I want to make it .100 a side wider to fill the gap better between the headlight surrounds. Same height.
What is the overall length it will end up being? For those of us with A/C (like me), the grill surround protrudes out so the gap between the headlight surrounds is a non-issue - but want to make sure it looks ok as a "stand-alone" unit (and that the fit doesn't go to far to the edge).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
What is the overall length it will end up being? For those of us with A/C (like me), the grill surround protrudes out so the gap between the headlight surrounds is a non-issue - but want to make sure it looks ok as a "stand-alone" unit (and that the fit doesn't go to far to the edge).
Thanks for mentioning that. I wouldn't have thought of it. The width I "like" is 30.75in wide. Can you check to see if that would work for you? I checked on some AC installed truck and didn't even notice the surround sticking out.

------ Follow up post added December 9th, 2010 03:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
can I get one in 6061 so I can have it anodized to match my Kings Brah!

brraaaapp.
BRAH!

Sure.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Thanks for mentioning that. I wouldn't have thought of it. The width I "like" is 30.75in wide. Can you check to see if that would work for you? I checked on some AC installed truck and didn't even notice the surround sticking out.
Just measured mine, overall length of the grill surround is 30 3/8", and the grill is recessed 3/8" on each side (i.e. total grill width is around 29 5/8"). I'd say that as long as there is a 1/4" setback from the overall width of the grill surround it would look fine - but that would put the ideal grill width at 29 7/8" at a maximum (shorter than the proposed 30 3/4").

Also, for what it's worth, I measured my distance between headlight surrounds and I don't think I even have 30 3/4" between...looks to be more like 30 1/2" max. The grill surround is essentially the 30 1/2" at the base and comes to about 30 3/8" (it bevels just slightly as it comes out, and the corners/edges are rounded wich probably accounts for the difference).

Are we talking 2 different versions here, one for A/C and one for non-A/C trucks?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Are we talking 2 different versions here, one for A/C and one for non-A/C trucks?

I can't find the pictures I used to have to demonstrate but there are 2 different types of 'AC Grill'. Extended and non-extended. NAS Trucks even with AC are non extended so the grill surround is almost flush with the fenders. On some ROW trucks the Grill is extended out to make room for the condensor and the front edge is nowhere near flush with the fenders. I don't think Buck's design would work very well with an extended type grill.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've got the extended version of the grill surround, which is what I've seen most of the time (I think with the exception of the NAS trucks all others with A/C are extended). I think the design would be fine with mine, but the width may be the issue. The other "food for thought" is butting the grill right up to the headlight surrounds wouldn't leave much room for flex, i.e. if you take it off the pavement things on these rigs invariably flex pretty significantly if you're going over rocks/obstacles/etc, and if there's not much room between the grill and the headlight surrounds may cause an issue.

Buck, let me know what your thoughts are...definitely would like to use on my 110 if possible but the overall width may be the main issue.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Darn these trucks all to crap (trying to swear less).

Okay, the stock grill I have is 30 9/16 inch. Mine I made a tiny bit wider to better fill the front. I test fit it on 5 defenders. Some with and some without AC. It fit on all of them quite well with anough room to play with but look good. So the question is, are all the stock grills the same? I can make it exactly like stock, but I was kinda hoping to make it look like it was actually made for the truck it was on. lol.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
aluminum