Colorado Mechanic - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

Question Colorado Mechanic

Great day to all

I have a friend with a 94 defender with 7700 miles on it.
He brought it to the dealer and was told that it needed the following things done to it.
- 30k service
- clunk noise in the transfer case
- replace seal on intake manifold

The dealer wants big bucks, I would rather it be put in someones pocket rather then the dealer.
Could someone let me know of any local shops in the Aspen area. It can be taken outside the area too.

mpodgorski@landroverfortlaud.com

I know this all sounds weird being that I work at a rover dealer.
Thanks I know

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Where is he in Colorado?
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

Aspen Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

If he comes down to Denver, go see Jeff at JC Rover. http://www.jcrover4x4.com/ He's preferred by many members of our local LR club, which should tell you something. HTH. Mark
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

He can take it to John at Pitco 4x4, or if he wants to chat, have him call me. PM me and I'll shoot you my number.

By the way, is it yellow? I saw one yesterday morning with FL plates.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

Digging in the past,
anyone know if Pitco 4x4 is still around?
Same client now the newly restored 110 is in need of service.

Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
JPRO576
blueboy
'96 Discovery Tdi

repair shop

Pitco is still around. I have known those guy's for years. There is another local shop which is owned by good friends of mine but I am hesitant on recommending them for anything at this time. Had a few issues on a project truck that I sent there way. Pitco is ok. But if someone has a d-90 with under 8k on it, I would only say in this area go dealer only. The boy's that work here are very qualified. Our master tech is one of the best in the country. We handle most of the defenders on the western slope. In the summer time there can be as many as 10-15 in our parking lot @ any given time. We know our rovers. We may not be the cheapest but we only use genuine parts. Pitco and the other will only come to me for parts when they have to. They prefer World Pac, or Atlantic british knock off shit. The one good thing about dealers is that the parts warranty is nationwide no questions asked. Hope it helps.

John
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

There are numerous independent shops in the Denver area, and there are several threads on here with shop recommendations for Denver.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

If he wants to bring it to Denver I'd say go to JC but otherwise I'd probably stick with a dealer...
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Rob at MIT automotive in Evergreen is great my company uses him for everything. He sees plenty of Defenders and knows tons. Highly recomended!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Grand Junction is a bit closer to Aspen, I believe. My friend's dad owns Wagner Garage here in Grand Junction, CO - his name is Steve Bennett. Steve is the only person Bill Burke lets touch his Rovers if that means anything to you. Bill lives out in Fruita and has been going to Steve for years. Also their prices are good at Wagner and they aren't too booked right now. I'd tell your friend about it. Their number is (970) 242-9971 and you can ask to speak directly with Steve - there are only 3 techs at his shop and he's one of 'em.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Does anyone know if there is a good shop in Summit County?
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:16 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrown View Post
Rob at MIT automotive in Evergreen is great my company uses him for everything. He sees plenty of Defenders and knows tons. Highly recomended!
x 2!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Has anyone taken their truck to British 4x4 ltd. in Aurora or know anything about it? From their website:

Owner Brian Williams is ASE Master Certified and a former Land Rover Gold Certified Master Technician.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:28 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger View Post
Has anyone taken their truck to British 4x4 ltd. in Aurora or know anything about it? From their website:

Owner Brian Williams is ASE Master Certified and a former Land Rover Gold Certified Master Technician.
---

I have had Brian work on my defender several times. He was referred by a friend who has had him work on his Defender since about 2000. He tends to get backed up but he does a very good job and his prices are reasonable. He definitely knows his Land Rovers.
Old November 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

For all Denver area guys, you NEED to visit Brian. I made an appt. for an oil change (can't do that myself anymore since in a condo building) and I dropped by yesterday to his shop.

He changed the oil and filter, lubed all the zerks on the d-shafts and the TRE's, reset my timing to 8 degrees, tightened all the belts (power steering was loose), fixed my alternator mount (this alone took a half hour), and did a general once over on pretty much the entire truck. Since I was a first time customer, he charged me nothing. I spent three hours there. I was so psyched to be able to hang around and watch and learn.

Unlike some of the other shops in town, he is a gold master LR tech, and he is the one doing the work.

I made an appt to have a bunch of other work done in a few weeks. Glad I found out about him, and hopefully others will patronize this great shop.
Old November 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
That's what a mechanic should do. Its been my luck the guy loosens the belts loosens bolts and figures out how to do the least amoun of work. I'm glad there are shops that still do this for customers.
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Brian saved my butt a few weeks ago when I had a nearby shop do some paintwork on my footwells (they did a great job by the way- Brian works with them often). They sandblasted and managed to get some of the media in the electronics. It wasn't starting so Brian took it apart, cleaned a couple relays near the fuse box and got it running all at no charge!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
colorado