Colorado Diesel Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Lane Granmoe
1995 D90 300tdi
Colorado Diesel Help

I just moved into Colorado from an area that didn't require emissions testing and have now ran into some big issues.
I read all of the many threads on this subject and am still stuck
I took my 300tdi powered 90 to an emission test location and was sent to the state technical center where I was informed that there was no way my vehicle would be legal unless I could produce a certificate from the EPA stating that the 300tdi is approved in the US. I have been searching the web and can't find anything on this... and now I have my only vehicle with expired tags.

If anyone has this EPA document or any helpful tips I would appreciate it... and would be willing to pay if needed.

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Charlie on the Solihull Society website got 3 defenders with 300TDI's to pass and could probably instruct you what to tell them. Post this question on that site and I am sure he will respond. He lives in VA now, but checks fairly regularly and is a great guy.

Old April 9th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Chris Hinkle
More than I need
Please keep us updated on your progress.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288
You need to get ahold of, and speak to, one of two people at the Denver emission technical center. Either Raymond Elick or Mike Bywater. 303-744-2522

It is my opinion that they are the only people there who have a clue. I haven't spoken to Mike in a few years, but I speak to Raymond annually reguarding my diesel fleet (which has to be registered in CO). We have spoken a few times about what is required for a diesel re-power. He is a knowledgable and helpful guy. From our conversatons, the take I get from him is that there are specific things they look for in a diesel of any given model year. If your engine has the technology of a vehicle of that model year or newer, you're set. They are a state agency and I don't think they really care what the EPA has to say.

Your 90 is too short for the available diesel dynos and will have to have the idle test, which means its basically exempted from that test. They won't do much more than look at it.

I do have a 300tdi powered 110 registered here.
Full disclosure-I did it the old fashioned way. Because it was a 110 I was able to do the dyno test. It passed, and the clueless guys at the diesel test station spoke to the clueless guys at the emissions center about the engine that they did not recognize and were told that as long it was set up the way it should be on a '72 Land Rover Station Wagon it was good to go.
8-track, gun rack, spittoon, gimbal mounted beer buoy, blah, blah, blah, blah......
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"
call the broomfield testing center and have them take a look at it. They've done several d-90's with 300tdi's and pass them without any problem... if you need it I can dig out the name and phone number of the guy you need to talk to as well....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

colorado, diesel