Cold weather Grill cover - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Cold weather Grill cover

Any one running a diesel use one?

I dont have much exp with rover diesels, on the peterbilt 397 I used to drive grill blankets were almost a neccesity.

also called a winter grill cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Any one running a diesel use one?

I dont have much exp with rover diesels, on the peterbilt 397 I used to drive grill blankets were almost a neccesity.

also called a winter grill cover
I can make you one dirt cheap at my work. I made one with cordura material (in black) I use velco and run with it all winter. I also use my Webasto on a daily basis.....
Old September 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

No shit, that would be awesome. Does it help with heat/warmup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I have one from RoversNorth (at least I think that's where it's from). It's basically just a black piece of canvas with a large overlapping flap that has snaps lined up along the sides (to secure the flap closed) and a row of two to three snaps at the top (to secure it "open" or rolled up)... and a few small ropes to secure it to your hood or grill. Pretty simple. Can snap some pics tonight. Haven't used it.
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I just freeze. I sold my RN one. It was ok, but the stitching was coming undone. See if badger can make you one.
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I absolutely need one in winter. The webasto definitely changes the game as well though. I have the RN, which I modified to expose the intercooler. no need to keep that warm. I didn't measure twice though, so my hole it too big.

I plan on replacing my RN one with the Rugged Guide version.
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:11 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I have a RN version... don't think I'm going to use it in Los Angeles so it'll be for sale next year sometime once I dig it out of whatever box the movers put it in...

I forgot to put it on a few times and ended up running the webasto with a running truck just to keep the temps up...
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have a RN one on my 300tdi. I usually leave it on in the winter when I go up to the mountain a lot. I keep the vent flap open most of the time and close it up if it is very cold or snowing.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:59 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I want one of these MoD-style Exmoor covers. Does anybody sell them in the states?

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/index.ph...emart&Itemid=8
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I just slide in a 1/8" piece of wood paneling, just barely in front of the radiator with a 3/4" tab at the top so I can pull it out. There's a small grove at the base of the radiator that the paneling sets in, so essentially, it's trapped. Paint it black so it doesn't show from the front. If you cut the board just right, you'll end up with about 1-1/2" gap at the side for some cooling. Doesn't have that "cool" factor appearance, but doesn't block the intercooler either. Another plus, if it gets warm suddenly, pull over, pop the bonnet, and pull out the board.
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

For my SIIA 88, years ago in college (read poor) I used a piece of waxed HD cardboard from a case of import beer. Lasted 3 or 4 years winters in CO. It was ugly but got the job done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover