Cold Weather Door Latch Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM
'95 90 SW #234
Cold Weather Door Latch Issue

Does anyone know of any tips to get the door to latch during the winter months. I'm in an area of WY that is always below freezing and frequently single digits or colder. It seems that when the outside temp hits the teens, my door latches just don't want to work. It seems like they freeze up and won't latch. It makes for a chilly ride. Any suggestions?

Old January 17th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
Have you tried to put some dry graphite on them? Not just the lock cylinders, but the latch mechanism itself.

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:00 PM
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Mine were going this too. I just greased them with white lithium. Bingo solved
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4
One thing that adds to this problem is the door seals get stiff in the cold, don't know what can be done about that though.
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
RR Classics have heated door locks. Maybe you could adapt the lock barrel heater from one of those.
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI
I your door seals are old they'll be more stiff than new ones. For the lock the only option in very cold weather is something like a moly grease rated for that temperature range and cleaning out any waxing before application and then changing it in the summer since it'll probably run out when warm. That being the 'right' way, if you lube with something like light machine oil (3in1 is a brand) it'll probably stay more fluid than a lot of the spray and evapourate type lubricants. (and never ever lubricate with WD40 or any other penetrant, they're solvents not lubricants).

Hope that helps, the more fun one is when the doors freeze onto the door seals themselves, I'm going to put on one of the aftermarket seals at some point and experiment with different treatments to stop it... I'm guessing that regular application of something like armorall might work...
-- - Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly - Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts! - Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I have run into this problem. I have found that squirting with a little hoppes Dri-lube works fine for me. I have had the door seals freeze with water on them before. that sucks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

door, door latch