Defender Source Forum banner

Cold starting problem td5

8K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  tjfslaughter 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a 2006 D-90 td5 in Nassau, Bahamas (so it is always above 20Centigrade). When left overnight the D-90 requires 2-4 attempts to start. It fires for a few seconds (as if on a few cyclinders, sounding rough) and then dies.

I have put the ignition key in and turned it to position 2 (when all the lights on the engine display come on) and can see several, including the glow plug, go off. I hear the fuel pump run.

On the third or fourth try the engine fires, again runs rough for a second or two, and then runs normally. After this the D-90 starts like a champ for the rest of the day.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks Mark. I have not checked the battery but was looking at the D-90 and see it is not obvious. The battery is under one of the seats I've read on the posts (mine is a LHD drive model). What is the procedure to get to the battery? I've looked at the D-90 and it appears that I will need to remove a seat. If that is the case do you remove the tracks or is there something easier. Any caveats? Thanks, Peter.

#5 ·
Thanks Tom. How do you pull off the seat base? I've studied the seat and do not see a simple way to pull it off apart from removing some nuts at the base of the track. It does look like the seat could come off the track but just not obvious to me how to do it. Peter.

#7 ·
Tom and Mark. Got the seat off - just pressure fit into some plastic fittings.

The battery is brand new.

When turning on the key the first time the fuel pump goes on sounding like a normal pump (whir) followed by a brief few seconds of higher pitch then back to whir for another 10-15 seconds. During the final 10-15 seconds it will "tick" a few times but always continue the whir. It then goes quiet.

I attempt to start it at this time and get it to fire, running roughly for 2-3 seconds.

Second attempt let the fuel pump run again for 10-15 seconds (no high pitch whine, no tickinig) and the D-90 fires, runs roughly for 2-3 seconds then runs smoothly.

#9 ·
^^^^^ Agree; this is a common problem with Td5's, the pump starts to die and overnight allows the fuel to drain back into the tank, and eventhough it's a high pressure jobbie, somehow it causes crappy starting.

They tend to get noisy too, sounding like they're sucking up air, a kind of gargling noise.

either drop the tank or cut a hole through the rear tub to change it.

#10 ·
Thanks very much. Great info for a newbie like me.

I will need to order the pump from the UK. Is there any parts suppliers the forum likes to promote. I have bought a tachometer from "symonnettes" (I believe that was their name).

Again, thanks very much to all. Peter.

#18 ·
Not to worry. It is a great forum and I am really wet behind the ears with this vehicle. The manuals I have are in German which I do not read/speak.

The D-90 is a unique vehicle with many interesting design features that I intend to understand fully. I purchased it for it's simplicity and that I could learn how work on it. This is my first opportunity for a fairly complex repair - dropping the fuel tank, replacing the pump and getting everything back together and running without leaks.

My mission until the pump arrives is figuring out how to align the hood latch so it works smoothly, not as tight as it is now.

Again, thanks to Tom, Mark and Jamie for the great info. Peter.

#21 ·
The Disco has a plate for easy access. I believe the 90 you have to "drop the tank" make sure you get that as close to empty as possible before you start. Have a gerry can full so you can get it refueled when you are done.

It takes about an hour to drop the tank. While you are in there plan to do some rust prevention while you are at it. clean the areas around the tank and protect them, also clean up the skid plate.

Most importantly remember that the 4 hoses that go into the tank are color coded. Write down the sequence!!!! Don't try and remove the hoses with pliers use your bare hands to squeeze the quick release clips out.

Have fun while you are doing it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.