Cold Start Question: Is this normal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2014, 12:52 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Cold Start Question: Is this normal?

1st some basic information: My new to me D110 is a RHD with the 3.5L V8 and the factory SU carbs and Manual Choke. CONDITION of the carbs is UNKNOWN as I haven't had the time to sort all of the mechanicals out yet, but the 110 is driveable once it's warmed up. I've only driven it around town a couple of times since I bought it and on short drives at that.

My question is this: I live in Southern California where it's always warm and I understand that in the early mornings when the temps are still in the low 60's the choke has to be pulled for cold starts, until the engine is fully warmed up, BUT, is it NORMAL to have to use the choke at 1st startup when the temps are already in the mid 70's and low 80's? It seems that I have to wait for the engine to be fully warmed up regardless of the temps for the 110 to be driveable without the choke.

Does it sound like the carbs need to be rebuilt (current mileage 150K) or perhaps just simply adjusted, or perhaps something else?

On a related note, can the manual choke on SU's be converted to electric?

Thank you for any and all insight and answers.
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2014, 01:03 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
The choke has to do with engine temps, not the ambient temp. I have to set the choke on my lawnmower to start it more easily even if it's 100 outside. Same case with the dodge dart I had when I was a teenager, one pump of the gas pedal to set the choke even in summer.
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:13 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Cold Start Question: Is this normal?

That makes sense and I already know that, but it goes without saying that when it's warmer outside, the engine temp is already warmer (equal to the ambient temp), and thus would require a shorter period to reach operating temperature. It just seems that every time I start this thing, the choke has to come out for at least 3 minutes before I can drive off without its help.
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2014, 01:50 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Can someone else please shed some light on this issue?
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I believe Jafir answered your question. Your motor needs to be "warm" for the chock to be turned off. If you lived on the sun the block and the oil would already be satisfactorily warmed bypassing this requirement. 110 degrees outside in Phoenix and I still need the choke for a first start on my generator or power washer.
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I don't see what you're experiencing as too abnormal. This morning I rebuilt the carb for a Series Rover. It required choke to start and stay running for a few minutes before it could be driven...and the ambient temps here were in the 80's. I've played with the dual carbs on 3.5 v8s and my recollection is that they typically want a bit of choke to start unless they are at operating temperature. I don't see that you have a problem.
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:45 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Rob: Thank you, I was under the impression that it was taking way too long. I'll just put this matter to rest now.
Defenderless, for now!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start