Cold start problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:51 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Cold start problem

Yet again I'm having cold start problems. As in the starter doesn't want to work. I just replaced on Friday my old starter that died on me. This new one worked fine Friday after I installed it and started tonight when i went to my parent's house. I've got a dual optima set up. One is a 6-7 year old red and the other is a 3 year old blue top. Not sure if its the batteries since I still have power. I get a hum from the fuel pump and a click from the starter relay. I checked the 60 amp fuses under the hood and they looked fine. So I'm wondering if the new starter was a bad one? More so what the heck is going on with this thing? I'll be heading back to my parents tomorrow to play around with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
could be a bad connection in the starter relay that passes the power to the positive lead on the starter, or just a bad relay itself. I have a J**P that has the same issue, and I'm going to replace the starter cable next week.
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would start by checking my grounds. Try running a jumper cable from the ground terminal on the battery over to the starter--that at least can rule that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2008, 06:52 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

With a little work and about an hour on the phone with Trevor I figured its a problem between the relay and the starter. I currently have a wire running from the starter to the battery so I can get around untill its warmer out.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start