Cold Galvanize in a rattle can? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...

Cold Galvanize in a rattle can?

How well does this stuff work as a rust preventative? Also for anyone that has used it how durable is it? I am wondering if it is good enough to spot treat areas on the frame? I was looking through the paints today and ran across an old can of it and went Hummmmmmmm?!?!?!?!

The things that make ya go Hummmmm...

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is a zinc rich paint. I have used it with success. I tend to use it on less than clean metal after mechanically removing any rust and spraying with rust converter. Then I top coat with primer and paint.
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It is a zinc rich paint. I have used it with success. I tend to use it on less than clean metal after mechanically removing any rust and spraying with rust converter. Then I top coat with primer and paint.
Which Rust converter are you fond of?

So it goes like this then,

Mechanically remove as much rust as possible.

Rust converter.

Cold Galvanize.

Prime.

Paint.

In that order?

I tried a bit last night on a piece of scrap bar and it dries to the touch very quickly. Other paints applied over it seem to take a LONG time to dry and are very fragile till dry.

All this makes me want to go out and find some rusty scrap metal and begin experimenting to see what lasts the longest...

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Rust converters use phosphoric acid. It changes the iron oxide to iron phosphate. The cheap source is concrete cleaners. Check the labels for one that uses phosphoric acid.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

cold galvanize

Rust converting primers such as rust destroyer or rust bullit followed by a top coat of machine grade polyurethane is the way to go if you want to paint as opposed to waxoyl. Cold galvanization paint is ineffective if put on after a rust converting primer as it must be in direct contact with the metal. Nonetheless, I think rust converting primers are far more effective. I have used them extensively in the marine environment, and they work great. I am partial to rust destroyer. Simply put, prime with rust destroyer and top coat with poly paint.... that's it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rattle