Cold air output from heater - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Cold air output from heater

so here is whats going on with my 94 D90. I take my rig out (running around town), heater works fine. Temp. gauge levels out right at about 190. Everything seems to be functioning properly. Twice now when I have been cruising in the cold weather on the highway and my temp gauge rises up to 240, the hot air coming out turns to very cold air coming out. I pull over, temp gauge slowly starts coming down but the cold air continues. After the firtst time, I replaced the T-stat and did a radiator flush. Drove around all afternoon and it appeared to fix the problem. Temp gauge stayed right at about 190. Heater performed and functioned awesome. Problem solved...right? On the way home, driving on the highway, outside temp is about 10 degrees, Wind chill is colder then that, temp gauge starts rising and cold air starts coming out again. Since then, I have parked my 90, drove the chevy, and now trying to diagnose the problem.

Ryan

BTW - My name is Ryan. I am new to this site. I have owned british cars since 98, but this is my first 90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You probably have air stuck in the system.
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

What about the heater valve? I am not sure how they work on these vehicles, but if that suddenly closed while driving it would prevent hot coolant from flowing to the heater core.
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is no heater valve..... The air is diverted to adjust heat output.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
lightwriter
Carlos Ascencio
'84 One Ten

Registry
I have the exact same problem. It seems to me that when it is really cold and driving around the thermostat closes b/c the cooling fluid temp drops and does not get hot enough for it to open and allow fluid to flow. Or it stays wide open allowing fluid to continuously run through the radiator which does not allow the coolant to heat up. I think that the first is more likely since it is associated with a rise in temp gauge which is the temp at the block. I am thinking that I need to reduce the air flow to the radiator on really cold days. Need to think about what I am going to use to do that though.
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:33 AM
hydrik
mike
1997 d90

i have the solution, mine the same way.

What i do is this....I take a few fire starters and 3 or 4 logs. I put the starters on the floor. Light them, after they ignite, place the wood directly under your feet. Within 10 minutes she is goooood to go...
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

thank you for all the advice on fixing the problem. I ended up replacing the temp. sending unit to cure the gauge. I disassembled the dash and found the defrost vent was worn and not attached, so I was losing a lot of air volume. also adjusted some of the controls on the heater box to control the flow a little better. all in all, I have more air output from the heater, gauge seems to be functioning correctly, and I got my defrost unit back in working order. I am haven't had any problems with the cold air output, I will run the system like it is for a few days and see if it took care of that problem as well.

Plus I sold my Chevy a few days ago and now I am in the 90 full time. Wouldn't have it any other way. =)

*Also- I noticed on the upper radiator hose housing(that part that covers the t-stat), I have a place that something can plug onto it. Nothing is plug onto mine. didn't know if something is supposed to be there?

thanks again for everyones help. its good to be on this site.

Ryan
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB16

*Also- I noticed on the upper radiator hose housing(that part that covers the t-stat), I have a place that something can plug onto it. Nothing is plug onto mine. didn't know if something is supposed to be there?

Ryan
IIRC that plug is for the AC fan switch. But then I may very well not RC.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

ahhh....good to know. I have the soft top. not sure I need to worry too much about that in colorado.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB16
ahhh....good to know. I have the soft top. not sure I need to worry too much about that in colorado.
Welcome to the club. If that is your first D-90, make sure you get you Oil Cooler lines changed if they haven't already been. They tend to burst and catch your vehicle on fire.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

RyanB16,

If you are ever in the Springs and see a 94 Green D90 with a hard top, that's me.
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu
Welcome to the club. If that is your first D-90, make sure you get you Oil Cooler lines changed if they haven't already been. They tend to burst and catch your vehicle on fire.
This is my first 90. Luckily the previous owner changed the oil cooler lines for my road trip home in it. Had no problems driving across the country in it.

Ryan

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard
RyanB16,

If you are ever in the Springs and see a 94 Green D90 with a hard top, that's me.
I am not too far from the springs. i am just on the north side of larkspur. I will look for you. I am full time in mine now so you really cant miss me.

Ryan
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Damn, we gotta be neighbors! It looks like your avitar picture is from along side Statter's fence on Tomah Rd. I'm off 105 across from Plum Creek Hollow.

Gray house, green roof, up the hill a ways. Stop in for a beer some time!
Old December 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

you hit that nuts on!! I was only a couple hundred yards up on tomah from 105 in that pic. I had pulled over to watch the elk herd there (just like most days). I am in keene ranch back there off of Tomah. I will look for your place on my way home from work this afternoon. nice to meet you Rod.

Ryan
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey, that's quite a herd isn't it? You must feel like you live in a zoo, what with the elk and the buffalo herd across the road from you. Keene ranch is a pretty place. I'm about a mile south of Tomah. Black elk on top of the mailbox, the house is about a mile off the road.

If you ever need a hand, I'm not much with a wrench but I drink beer like a god.

Glad to meet ya, too!

If you keep an eye on the trips, events section a few of the guys here get together, usually in Castle Rock, for a beer or two and some Rover comraderie. It happens every month or so.
Old December 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Oh great... Another "southern" Defender owner..

Watch that Rod guy Ryan... He'll force you to drink too much beer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
Oh great... Another "southern" Defender owner..

Watch that Rod guy Ryan... He'll force you to drink too much beer!
Well, now...if THAT isn't the pot calling the kettle black!
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

A fresh water pump also does wonders for your heat!
And I love you too
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

that was actually my next move. I have decided to stay with the soft top so might try to get the heater dialed in for the rest of the winter.

what is the best way to the remove any air that is in my cooling system? There is chance that I might have a bubble still in the line.

Has anyone upgraded the blower in the heater from something else to get more air volume? Just a thought....
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Ryan, you might want to check out Art Vigil's thread in the "For sale -parts" section on drop curtains. Maybe he made a couple extra. They won't fix your heater, but they make the most of what ya got!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater