Cold Air Intake d-90 - Pictures of - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2009, 11:33 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Cold Air Intake d-90 - Pictures of

I had post a while back with out much good feedback about a "cold air intake" or at least getting colder air into the engine. So I have attached some pictures of my mod. I used a flexible tube from a classic to the mass airflow meter and used a cone shaped K&N filter right under the LRX style wing top. I made the vents between the 2 parking lights functional and used 3 inch flex tubing to run to an airbox. Most of these items were picked up from Home Depot. Hopefully this will help if anyone wants to get some idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cleanair5.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	19131   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleanair1 (2).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	19132  

Name:	cleanair1.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	19133   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleanair1_(2).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	19134  

Name:	cleanair3.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	19135   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleanair4.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	19136  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Good execution, but if you gained even 1 HP I would be surprised.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:53 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Buck,
Wow just like last time you had to chime in with your positive attitude, you are a buzz kill!

Hmm maybe there is more to think about than just HPs:
1. Maybe a small increase in throttle response as now the air cleaner is that much closer to the intake. Sucking air through a much shorter straw.
2. Reduction of hot air from the rear of the engine going into the intake - hopefully lengthening the life of the engine
3. or just maybe for s**ts and giggles

I will take the compliment on the "nice execution" as I do think it was sincere - Thank you, just try not to trounce on forum members' efforts. I think the idea of the forum is to foster an environment of creativity, innovation and assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2009, 06:41 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

nicely done Clay, cold air is always a welcome commodity for any engine.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan
Buck,
Wow just like last time you had to chime in with your positive attitude, you are a buzz kill!

Hmm maybe there is more to think about than just HPs:
1. Maybe a small increase in throttle response as now the air cleaner is that much closer to the intake. Sucking air through a much shorter straw.
2. Reduction of hot air from the rear of the engine going into the intake - hopefully lengthening the life of the engine
3. or just maybe for s**ts and giggles

I will take the compliment on the "nice execution" as I do think it was sincere - Thank you, just try not to trounce on forum members' efforts. I think the idea of the forum is to foster an environment of creativity, innovation and assistance.
Meh,

Not my style. I like to foster an environment of malcontent. The shorter intake tube may help. Iíll give you that one.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
It looks like the new bend on the intake hose will cause a restriction and unnecessary turbulence from the corrugations.

the location of the filter is likely lower and due to the opening from the front panel will be more likely to ingest water.

lastly, the K and N unit is still in the engine bay and will be drawing air from all sides, mixing with the wing top air and the very small amount of air that will actually make it through the small, bent, corrugated column you have provided via the 3" flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan
I had post a while back with out much good feedback about a "cold air intake" or at least getting colder air into the engine. So I have attached some pictures of my mod. I used a flexible tube from a classic to the mass airflow meter and used a cone shaped K&N filter right under the LRX style wing top. I made the vents between the 2 parking lights functional and used 3 inch flex tubing to run to an airbox. Most of these items were picked up from Home Depot. Hopefully this will help if anyone wants to get some idea.
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I like it but I think water ingestion might be an issue especially if you get a bow wave going. If you drove through water that was middway up your wheels at 5-10 mph the bow wave would probably get above that vent.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

My previous post stated that I was in a desert climate so unfortuneately we don't get the mud and water crossings like most of the rest of the country. Very true on the water guys much to think about if you are in a place where it rains a lot or water cross.
- One option for more rainy climates is the wing vent plate from a 97 which I used during our so called "winter" but again as Stephen said the bow wave would not be good.
Regarding the air turbulence - Good thought! Maybe next step is to a tube fabricated with from the MAF to the throttle body to alleviate some of that and to get a tube bent from the parking lights vent.
Buck, thanks for foster of malcontent at least you honest .
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Get a snorkel if you want cold air. Less dust. No chance of water injestion.

It is a off road vehicle. Pretend it is one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, air intake, d-90