COIL (ignition) questrion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
COIL (ignition) questrion

okay not on a Defender so sorry. But my boss has a 95 LWB about 150K miles. Was headed home to eastern NC from the MTNS of Va, stopped cut off truck (all was well). tried to start and wouldnt. long story short got it back to the shop rumaged around and found a coil that "worked". Had replaced whatever was in (stock?) with an ACCEL coil this is the supposed culprit for the not restarting. he said the coil (ACCEL) was too hot to touch... It has stock ignition and those BOSCH Platnum plugs, I have told him about those things.

SO now the truck is running again I drove it today runs good as usual on the coil from the randompartsbin. Why would the ACCEL overheat causing the truck not to restart? I havent done anything to the truck just relaying what he told me so I am not really sure what the issue could be. But it seems that the only time the truck has had any issues is when it is being driven at long interevals on the highway. Is the ACCEL a shitty coil or what? thanks for any insight I Hope all this makes sense. thanks dudes
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2006, 08:48 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

The Accel coil may have been designed for use in a car with points and a ballast resistor. Using such a coil in a Range Rover would overheat the coil and may fry the ignition amplifier. I suggest getting the correct Bosch coil. Coils are not generic, because some are made for one type of electronic ignition, some for another, while others are made for the two kinds of point systems.
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I would also check the dwell readings. A failing module may still work but the readings will be too high and may overheat the coil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
where are these located? I dont know anything about the 4.2 and RR's I assume its mostly the same as on my 3.9 but yeah...
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:37 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

There is a good writeup on the Solihul Society web site where a member changed the ignition module to a GM

http://www.solihullsociety.org/

Hope that helps
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
I would also check the dwell readings. A failing module may still work but the readings will be too high and may overheat the coil.
How do I check the dwell? I think my ignition module may be causing my intermittent stalling.
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:00 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Bosch coil or Lucas coil?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil