Code/fault reader location in 97 SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Code/fault reader location in 97 SW

Yesterday, much to my disgust, my "check engine" light came on. After checking the vehicle out it appears likely that it is some type of emissions related issue (mass air sensor, etc.) as all of the obvious and serious issues appear OK. After checking this site I found several posts which indicated that a code/fault reader should be located under my passenger seat box which would display the fault code that led to the check engine light coming on. If this is true I should in theory be able to determine the problem without borrowing an OBD 2 reader. However, upon looking under the seat all I found were two seperate silver ribbed boxes. No black colored code/fault reader. There was also a bundle of wires that were taped and capped off. I sense a previous owner botch job but want to make sure I am not missing something. Does anyone with a 97 have a photo of this fault reader. Am I correct that is should be located under the passenger seat of a 97? Finally, will disconnecting the battery for a short time reset the code or is there another preferred method?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2005, 04:05 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Under the seat is only in 95's, 94's have it in the toe kick panel on the passenger's side and 97's are shit outta luck. You have the right idea, you need to borrow (or buy) an OBDII reader from your local autozone shop. The preferred method to clear the code is to use the same OBDII reader that you got the code from. If it doesn't clear codes, it a piece! Get one that does.
The only thing that is under the passenger seat on a 97', as per the factory, is your stereo's amp and the computer for your speed sensors.
Hope this helped
Old September 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

It's located behind the fuse panel - you know, in front of your diff shifter thingy. You will need a reader to get the code. Get an Equus one off Ebay for less than $100, or go to an Autozone and let them do it for free.

You don't have to use the same reader to clear it. In fact you don't have to clear it. The ECU will recycle and clear it if the problem is fixed or if it goes away.

Or you can hook up with someone on the board with a reader in your area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Thank you both for the replies. I guess that pile of wires and the silver box with nothing connected to it is the stereo amp, which is exactly what it looks like. Thank you previous owner.

Since I plan on keeping this vehicle for some time I think I will just go and buy and OBD II reader and be done with it. I appreciate the referal for the one on EBAY, but I have a gift certificate at Sears and found one there for $149. It is the Actron model and does reset all codes. Probably not the best price but since I have the gift certificate it is basically free. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Finally, does anyone have a link to the code details on line? I did a search on this site and found several full length descriptions corresponding to the code fault numbers, but nothing for the 97 model year. I suspect that is because the OBD II system, new for the D-90 in 97, provides this information directly on the screen of the reader, but have never used one so I am not certain.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael
Old September 28th, 2005, 08:30 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Post or email me the fault code you are getting. You should be able to google the codes (or even call the LR shop once you get it). You might want to search through some of the posts regarding the rough road sensor if it is p1317 (just a hunch it might be this).

Regards,
Tom
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:34 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Not all readers are the same. I would really take a look at the Equus. My model was the 3100 and I see on Ebay that this may be superceded by the 3110 - at a higher cost for new but cheaper than a 3100 used.

Here's mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Equus...spagenameZWD1V

Same price I paid a year ago. It is a notch above the rest. The only thing lacking is a backlit display so you can see it at night. No big deal. It shows pending codes and tests every 10 seconds or so with an audible beep - a little annoying but o big deal.

You will not regret it. I keep it in the truck along with a sheet for the codes.
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:48 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriesman
...Finally, does anyone have a link to the code details on line? I did a search on this site and found several full length descriptions corresponding to the code fault numbers, but nothing for the 97 model year. I suspect that is because the OBD II system, new for the D-90 in 97, provides this information directly on the screen of the reader, but have never used one so I am not certain.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael
You can go to Autozone, and ask them to print you out a list of codes for the vehicle. They have all that info stored on their computers. I once went there to borrow thier OBDII reader and asked what the code was, the woman was new, so she just printed me the entire list, worth a try. Good luck with it.
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriesman
Thank you both for the replies. I guess that pile of wires and the silver box with nothing connected to it is the stereo amp, which is exactly what it looks like. Thank you previous owner.
Nope. No amp in a '97 Station Wagon. That's the engine computer.

Since all post-'97 vehicles in the U.S. work with OBDII, you may as well buy one. I got one from the local Schuck's Auto for $129.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ighlight=obdii

Seek and ye shall find...

As for the reader, as long as it reads the codes and clears them you don't need anything more expensive.
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:37 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Thanks again for all of the advice. I ended up buying the Actron model 9135 autoscanner since it was basically free (used the Sears gift cards from my birthday...). I have been very impressed with the unit thus far, as it came with a CD rom that included all of the diagnostic codes for the 97 LR Defender. However, I did not even need this as the device not only displayed code, but in addition it displayed the complete code definition (what the code means) on the second line under the number. Not bad. Simple to use and effective. While I bought mine at Sears due to the gift cards, I noticed that this model is for sale on E-bay for around $110. Since I plan on having this vehicle for some time, and I also have a 98 Wrangler, it seemed like a worthwhile investment.

Now for the fun part. The code displayed was "P0150," which the scanner identified as "O2 sensor circuit malfunction, bank 2 sensor 1." I cleared this code, drove the vehicle around, and the light has not come back on. Two questions:

1. Does anyone know exactly where this sensor is and approximately how much they cost to replace?

2. Since the light has not come back on and the vehicle is driving fine does that mean it was just a glitch and I do not need to replace the sensor?

By the way, I did not intentionally clear the code. Unfortunately the vehicle ignition was accidentally turned off while I was writing the code definition down and this somehow caused the check engine light to turn off. Since it was too late to fix this mistake, I just went ahead and cleared the code in the computer.....

Thanks again for all of the help and references.

Michael
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Since you know have your reader, now all you need is a workshop manual.
The light may not come back on immediately, the computer has to cycle through another diagnosis. This is triggered by a series of events, quick accelerations, distance...
If you're lucky it was just a glitch, but don't get your hopes up yet. If your interested in a workshop manual for the 97' send me a PM.
Despite what Barry said about there not being an amp... there is. The stock radio does not generate power to the speakers. Land Rover installed an amp in the passenger seat storage box along with the speed sensor's computer. The vehicles main computer is located under the hood, on the passenger side, behind the large white plastic cover.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Michael, David's right. Get the workshop manual. Youve got four o2's. 2 in front of the cats and two behind. Napa has great prices on the 02's for the 97 D90. Bosch 13923. $86.99. Get your self a 17mm wrench the kind with a notch cut out at the end so you can slip over the sensor(s). Also, code p0150 is a switching malfunction in the sensor. The ecu calculates the time before the sensor switches form open loop to closed loop. Closed loop means the ecu is controlling the air fuel mixture, in your case, either it didn't switch to closed loop at all, or it took longer than the ecu thought it should..drive it for awhile and see it happens again...jeff
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Thanks again for the help and referral for the O2 sensor model number and price. With respect to my other question it appears that I should have provided more detail. To clarify matters I do have the work shop manual. My question was poorly worded--I know where the O2 sensors are, both before and after on the exhaust system. My question should have been which sensor is "bank 2 sensor 1?" Sorry, I was very tired when I wrote the last e-mail.

Thanks again,

Michael

Old October 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Michael, bank 2 is the right hand bank(as your sitting in the vehicle) sensor 1 is in front of the cat.
I remember that there was a prom update for the gems system concerning this switching issue. May not be a faulty o2 sensor, unless the mil gets turned on again and again. there was a prom update for this issue but of course that means taking the rig to lr, testbook hookup and so on.
jeff
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

PROM update? Really? Is this a recall issue or what?
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Jeff,

Thanks for the information--that is exactly what I needed to know. Just out of curiosity how did you obtain this information (exact location of sensor corresponding to the information provided by the code reader).

Also, I will check on the possible software upgrade.

Thanks again,

Michael
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

here's the info on mil/prom update
jeff
Attached Files
File Type: txt mil.txt (3.0 KB, 170 views)
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Jeff,

Thanks again for the excellent information. So far the light has not come on again so hopefully.......

Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags