Code 68 and stalling... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Code 68 and stalling...

Hey All,

I am away for the weekend and we've been driving the rover a lot these past couple days. It's been running very well without any problems until this afternoon. All of a sudden I noticed the speedometer not working and then I got a check engine light. The code is 68. The rover still runs strong and normal until I drop the clutch when I pull up to a stop light. Then it will stall like it just can't keep idle. It is not stalling at every light, but it does seem to be getting worse (I also suspect that it's only stalling when I stop after going highways speeds with the RPMs up). I made it to where we're staying for the night and won't be home until tomorrow to check the work book. Anyone have any ideas as to what the root of the problem is? Is it cool to drive it home tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for the help! -Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Code 68 - Road speed sensor

probally be fine.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Phil, thanks for the quick id of the code.

I've done some research and the VSS does seem to be the culprit (as the fault code implies) to all of my issues. The one thing I cannot find is what the "test 25 of continuity test procedure" is. Anyone have any idea how to check the speed sensor for signs of life? I'd like to be sure that it is completely dead before I shell out for a new sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
sunder
Steven Miers
95 D90 ST

I was having this problem with my new (to me) 95 Defender. It was intermittently blowing the wiper fuse, quickly followed by the Code 68/stalling problem. Every time the wiper fuse blew, the tachometer would stop working as well.

In my case, the problem was an almost-but-not-quite broken wire (green) leading to the tachometer itself. Once I repaired this, the problem went away completely.

Posting here in case it helps anyone. Back to lurking.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

If you know someone with a scope, you could check the signature coming out of the speed sensor, and at the ecu. If you see irregularities, then you could confirm the sensor as the culprit. You could also try cleaning up the plug on the sensor (if it's accessible) with some contact cleaner/promoter if you suspect it's just a bad/corroded connection. I bought some that worked great on a electrical problem I had on my Toyota.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions