Code 68 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
pvpdangvu
Peter
95/Defender

Code 68

Hello everyone. I hope someone out there can help me with this. I got a code 68 when the check engine light came on, and when I researched this out, it had to do with the road speed sensor. I figured after reading some of the forum posts that it can cause the car to stall on deceleration. So I replaced both the speedometer cable, and the transducer. Well I thought it was fixed, but now the Check engine light came back on after a few days, and the Code 68 is back. Although it doesn't always stall when I decelerate, it still is annoying, and I was hoping if I also need to replace the lower cable as well. The problem is that I don't know where the lower cable attaches to, and if anyone else has any new suggestions with my dilemma.
I have a '95 defender.
Thanks very much.
Pete Dangvu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Peter, welcome to the forums.

If it's like a '94, which I believe it is, the lower cable goes from the transfer case to the VSS (road speed sensor). It's mounted on the inside of the frame rail under the driver.

I have no idea if this will help your code 68 issue though.

charles
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
pvpdangvu
Peter
95/Defender

Thanks Charles. I'll take a closer look now that I know where it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
tgraham
Travis Graham
1994 Defender 90

Registry
The other end of lower cable attaches to the transfer box via a small clip secured with a 10mm nut on a stud. Just loosen the nut, lift the clip up and over the stud, then the lower speedo cable can slide out. Inside the transfer box is a drive gear, which you can remove with pliers once the lower cable is out of the way.

If the drive gear or lower cable is bad, you'll definitely get fault 68. However, you would probably also be experiencing some erratic speedo operation, since the whole system is connected. The upper cable won't affect this code - it just drives the speedo (and you indicated that you've replaced that). Since you've also already replaced the transducer, if your speedo is operating perfectly fine, I'd look towards an electrical issue.

However, it might not be too bad to go ahead and replace the lower cable too - it's the cheaper of the two. I had an upper cable fail, then the lower cable failed a year later...

Good luck.

Travis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 6th, 2010, 10:47 PM
pvpdangvu
Peter
95/Defender

Thanks Travis. I'm really glad I posted my question. You guys have given me some good advice.
Old June 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvpdangvu View Post
Thanks Travis. I'm really glad I posted my question. You guys have given me some good advice.
Just curious if changing the lower cable solved your problem? My truck just threw this code today and I don't want to start ordering a bunch of parts unless I need them! That being said, l did experience a couple of stalls while decelerating (almost stopped) approaching stoplights and erratic speedometer. Just annoying because I need to get my truck inspected!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions