Code 12 - MAF Mass air flow - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

Code 12 - MAF Mass air flow

I got a code 12 today, which is the MAF. on this site, http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...ouble.asp#1990 it says that the code could be due to a bad connector.

I pulled the plug off and the unit has 5 tabs, while the plug only had connections for 4. Is this how it is supposed to be?

I tested the voltage back in March and it was within spec. Is that the only way to test the unit to make sure it needs replacing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

The wires are power, ground, reference, and signal return. What you can do is connect to the signal wire and measure the voltage as you speed up the motor. It should increase smoothly as the motor speeds up. If it drops out or moves jumpily the air meter is bad.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

When I tested the voltage I measured it at the ecu. Which one is the signal wire in the plug?

Thanks for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Antonios
Antonios Hadjigeorgalis
No more

Why would the code reset? After the check engine engine light came on and the code 12 was thrown the truck was running OK. yesterday I had to drive it and when I started the truck the check engine light went off by itself without me resetting it. As I started out on a 40 minute drive I had to stop twice as the engine (although still running) wouldn't produce any power. When I pulled over and disengaged the clutch the engine stalled. After waiting for the relay to drop out it started back up fine. When it happened a second time within 10 minutes I disconnected the MAF and then it drove fine for the rest of the night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions