Clutch woes... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Clutch woes...

I parked the Defender outside last week because i was too lazy too move the wife's car out of the garage where I normally park. In the morning I started it up and when I went to put it in gear I had no clutch. My D90 then started bleeding all over the driveway. I think it was getting back at me for leaving it out in the cold. The fluid was pouring out of the bell housing. I understand this is indicative of a dead slave cylinder.

I ordered and replaced it with a new one tonite. Once things were back in place I went to bleed the lines and fluid again started pouring out of the bell housing. Everytime I put fluid up top it would come out the bottom as soon as I pumped the pedal.

WTF is going on and are things a lot worse than a dead slave cylinder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

Tony, first of all the new slave cylinder may be faulty, try bleeding it all through again. If it still leaks, suspect a faulty unit.

It's a good idea to replace all the hydraulics in one go. i.e. master cylinder, slave cylinder & flexi hose. If you don't I guarentee, the master will start to leak in a few weeks.

Plus, you are pushing old contaminated fluid from your master to slave cylinder.

try the following for bleeding the system successfully.

Attach a clear pipe to the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and a glass or jar to catch the fluid.
Fill the reservoir with fluid and open the bleed screw on the slave cylinder, allow the fluid to settle and to travel down the pipework for a few minutes.
Gently press the pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there while your assistant closes the bleed nipple.
Allow the pedal to come back up and check the reservoir topping up as required.
Repeat until no more air can be seen coming through the tube.

Leave the system to settle while you have a beer then repeat a final time to make sure.

You can also use a pressure bleeding system (Eazi Bleed over here) which forces fluid through the system by utilising a container filled with fluid and your spare tyre inflated to about 10/15psi.

good luck.
Brett
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Brett,

Thanks. I'll give it another try tonite. I'll pull it and checkit out to make sure it's not bad. The master cylinder was replaced less than a year ago so I hope it doesn't decide to give up the ghost again.

The weather is beautiful here recently and it's frustrating having the Defender sitting in the garage.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Doh!

Ok, I feel like a total idiot now...when putting in the new slave cylinder it really helps to put the push rod on it. What essentially happened was the first time I pushed in the clutch to bleed it it shot out the piston and dustcap, draining the sytem.

Now if I could just get it bled completely so it works. I was in too much of a hurry last night because I had a Barenaked Ladies concert to go to.
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
stupid bleeding ?

When bleeding the clutch, does the clutch master cylinder cap need to be on or off?
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
When bleeding the clutch, does the clutch master cylinder cap need to be on or off?
doesn't matter except to keep fluid from splashing out

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I leave it off and have a helper top it off as needed while I'm under the truck. Weirdly I haven't had the disappearing fluid happen for 6 months now. I don't understand but i'll take it.
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:50 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thanks, my clutch is a bit squirrelly, I have to bleed it again.
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

When working on clutch cylinders, always keep a bottle with clean water close, just in case you need to flush fluid quickly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch