Clutch/Transmission Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Clutch/Transmission Problem

Hello all. Got a strange problem I cannot seem to figure out. Had the engine re done which entailed dropping the transmission and clutch. While out I had the clutch replaced. When I first got the car back the thing shifted so easily - like a dream.

After a couple of weeks it felt very stiff and notchy. I took it back assuming so leaking of clutch/transmission fluid but the mechanic said everything looked good. What else could it be? It was so smooth now it's gone. When the tranny was out I did see a white/greasy looking substance all over the place which seemed odd but he cleaned it up before assembling.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Have you checked the fluid level in the gearbox. Might as refill it with some REDLINE MTL. DOnt trust your mechanic
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Could also be a leaky master cylinder. I think they all leak at one point or another.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
you have no idea. what about the slave cylinder. that one seems to go a little more undetected.
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Those clutches aren't easy to bleed out properly. On several occasions I have seen the master and slave go out after removal and reinstall of tranny. If you replace one, do the other!!!

Where does the clutch catch??? If the clutch ingages low on the pedal motion then you can adjust the clutch pedal rod that is attached to the clutch master cylinder
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Problem is not with the clutch engagment. I should have been clearer. The action of moving the shifter through the gears is what is notchy and kinda rough. Right after clutch/tranny install it was very easy to slide into gear and move around. Now not so much. It's almost like it was from being drowed in in some super slick gear lube to shifting without none. The wrench cheched the levels and they were fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, transmission