Clutch stuck to floor - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2010, 05:59 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Yes, the more you do it (replacing master/slave) the better and easier it gets for you.
X2. The second time I did it was much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

First and only time was not that hard. You guys scared me into thinking it was a job.
And I love you too
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Ordered the slave cylinder, soft line, and clutch pedal spring from George (RDS) today. After explaining the symptoms he immediately suggested the Master cylinder was the culprit. But I'll try the easiest and cheapest first and see what's involved with a MC replacement and maybe order that in the near future (MC @ $100 w/ shipping).

RN has clutch master cylinder fluid and it's DOT 4. I've been topping off with DOT 3. I could swear the MC Cap said use DOT 3. What's right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

If you've been using DOT3 fluid you'd better replace the whole system (get that master cyl). You must use the DOT 4 or better synthetic, preferably Castrol GTLMA or lucas. Other fluids will contaminate the rubber parts and they will fail (swell and turn to mush) Flush the hard line out. You don't want any of the DOT3 fluid in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Found fluid leaking down the clutch pedal so I guess its official....MC is bad. Guess I'll call George and order it Monday. It was dumb not to order it with the Slave and soft line. WIshful thinking I guess.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:17 AM
berti1554
Robert Klima
84/110

Quote:
WIshful thinking I guess
Why did I tell to replace all? (I started the same way)
Flush the line before you put in the new parts. Otherwise you might get the same problem because of small debris being in the line...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch